• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line twist

cotfish

Try closing the bail with your hand rather then turning your reel to close it. This is a big reason for line twist. Also when you put the line on make sure you have some resistance so its not real loose. I hold my spool between my feet and it works great for me

Quote:

Have you tried flipping the spool over? It seems to me that the line tends to want to coil on itself one way, but when flipped over it appears to not want to coil as much.

Your talking about the original spooling of the line right?

I have also found that on new line that seems to jump off my small reels, as soon as I fish deeper water, it tends to self correct itself.

CA

There are a ton of reasons your line can become twisted. And no one line is any better at not twisting than any other.

It can be as simple as the lures you use, to even how you hook your bait on the hook. Look as you reel in your lure each time and watch it.. it will usually twist something crazy as its comming it.. and watch it again as it falls.. again, usually twists... a swivel can help... or just retie every so often and run your line through the snow for 30 yards or so...

also, close the bail by hand not with the handle of the reel, and dont reel against the drag. Those will put a major twist in your line.

[quote I have also found that on new line that seems to jump off my small reels, as soon as I fish deeper water, it tends to self correct itself. CA

after spooling up i will pull some line out against the drag a few times to secure that line on the spool a little - seems to help me

Quote:

I or just retie every so often and run your line through the snow for 30 yards or so...

This works the best in my opinion. Cut the jig off and lay out the line on the ground. Then reel it back on with a little tension through your fingers. I also do this in the summer but I let out all the line off the spool to take the twists out.

I have found that braided or super line doesn't twist up as bad as mono. You could always try that as well.

When putting line on the reel lie the spool flat on the floor and when reeling the line on make sure there are no loops between the spool of line and the spool on the reel. If there is flip the spool of line over. This will prevent the line from twisting and jumping off your reel.