• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Little Concerned

gunflint

I'm just wondering how the low water levels might affect walleye fishing this year and the 2007 spawn class.

If water levels don't improve significantly by spring I would think the affect on "the old familiar places" would be noticeable. Regular structure spots would be warmer and shallower with light penetration reaching areas that it hasn't been for years.

I think that a lot of the spawning areas will be unreachable and therefore will affect the spawn this year. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a little concerned.

I believe that given time walleyes will adapt but it may take a while for walleye fisherman too.

I was told by a DNR officer that on our lake in the Brainerd area the low water is better for the walleyes than the northern. It exposes more sandy/gravly areas for them to spawn and takes away spawing habitat for the northerns which like the weadier areas to spawn.

I agree with Crappace. fluctuations of water levels in lakes and rivers helps to maintain productive area in lakes and rivers, including traditional spawning grounds. With the lower water levels currents and wave actions have a chance to clean out those areas that were previously laden with silt deposits, creating more and better spawning grounds for walleye. Extended lower water also gives stream and lakeside vegetation a chance to get a hold preventing future erosion during high water.

May be tougher for the fisherman to find exactly where they are from where they fished last year. But in the long run helps the walleye.

What is good for one isn't always for another and so it goes with various lakes and their substrates. I do have a spring prediction for you and that is lots of rain! This is also not good for productive walleye spawning depending on when the rain falls and water levels go up. Weather has a way of evening itself out over time and I am predicting above average rain this spring. From the looks of things on Mille Lacs though there are multiple year classes that are ready to move up and fill the void. Each body of water will be affected in different ways but drought is a bit better then cold spring rains and lots of runoff in my opinion, depending on the timing the cold water, it could kill off any newly spawned fish. My .02.

Tunrevir~