• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labs4me how was Iowa this morning?

natebuddy

Just got home from SoDak. We did really well. Mananged our birds all 3 days. We hunted both public and private land. From Milbank to Watertown to Clark. The wind sure howled out there today! You had to swing hard on them roosters... with 30+mph winds, they disapperaed in a flash. Funny thing is, we shot better today than yesterday when it was clam!

We got our 9 birds today in just under 2 hours. The dog work was exceptional! We pushed one little patch of standing corn (1/2 acre?) for the 1st 2, and then down into the cattails for our next 7. The dogs were on their game and we never had to say a word to them and just snuck around in the cattails. Most flushes were under 10 yards, some as close as 10 feet! Even yesterday on a mgmnt area and a waterfowl area, the birds held tight. I firmly believe it's because we rarely say a word to the dogs. I think the birds can handle the 'crunchy' footfalls in the snow, but not voices.

On a side note, if you ever stay in the Milbank area, drive over to a restaurant named SoDak Shores. It's on Big Stone Lake. Order their seasoned rib-eye. By far, the best rib-eye I've ever had and in the top couple of steaks I've ever eaten. I've been to all the steak houses in the cities, and this put those $50 steak to shame! Also in Clark, go to Mike's Time out bar... fantastic Prime Rib! One of the better restaurant cuts of prime rib that I've had in a long time.

As usual, the folks in SoDak were as gracious as always, we even spent the morning having coffee and fresh out of the oven carmel rolls at one of the farmers houses. Also, don't be afraid to knock on doors this time of year... you may be surprised on what land you can get on. Especially when you are out of the pheasant belt...

Good Luck!

Ken