• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Pheasant Legs

This is what I use for Pheasant's and it works very well.

Ingredients:

1 Whole Pheasant

Cherry Wood Chips

1/2 cup Pickling/canning Salt

6 cups Cold Water

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

3 tbsp Maple Syrup

2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar

2 tsp Pickling Spice

2 tbsp Honey

3 tsp Soy Sauce

1 cup Chicken Broth

1 Beer

Directions:

In a large glass bowl or sealable bag, combine pickling salt, water, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar and pickling spice. Add pheasant and put in frig for at least four hours, turning occasionally. Drain, discard the brine and let the pheasant dry on paper towel for thirty minutes. In a small bowl combine honey and soy sauce. Start gas or charcoal grill on one side only and soak cherry wood chips in water. Put wood chips on hot coals and put pan with chicken broth and beer over hot coals. Brush pheasant with honey soy mixture and place on side of grill opposite the coals. Cover and try to maintain a temperature of between 150 degrees and 250 degrees, opening grill as little as possible. Smoke pheasant for two to three hours adding more cherry chips during the last hour.

Hey NDIRT, I had a wild game feed about a month ago and tried making the legs and thighs (seperated) like my mother used to make chicken wings. Put foil down on a cookie sheet pan. Flour season and brown your legs and thighs in a skillet then arrange them on the cookie pan. In a sauce pan combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 3/4 cup soy sauce and 1 diced bell pepper heat to disolve then pour over legs and thighs, bake for 1/2 hour in 375 oven then turn them over and bake for another 45 min. They went crazy for these.