• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need recommendations for reel for big pike

Cove

Planning a week-long pike expedition in late May in Manitoba. Hope to field multiple pike in 30+ inch range, probably casting some heavier lures into relatively shallow water over and over and over again, probably with Fireline. I have a couple of Ambassador 6500s and a Shimano Chronarch. Have not purchased a casting reel in years. I'd like your recommendations on best reels on the market for this type of thing.

Calcutta TE, Abu Garcias/Record and Daiwa Lunas are all good reels. I like Calcutta the best but they are pricey, Abus...well can't argue with years of proven performance. Lunas are nice but I have heard a few bad reports with customer service and durability but still a top shelf reel.

Thanks a lot, guys. Say, what is the scoop on the Calcutta versus the Calcutta TE. Not clear to me, yet, what the differences are and if it is worth it.