• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing northern question?

bgreen82

Intro level spear about 40.00, decoy about 10.00, dark house??? misc line for decoy 2-10.00, something to make the hole??? spearing license 18.00 (also need angling license)

This can be a relatively inexpensive sport to get into if you don't need new and are willing to look for used equipment (spear, chisel, house, decoys), however much of the "old" stuff costs more than new. You may luck out if you find someone who has given up the sport due to age or some other reason and be able to get a package deal. I would reccomend finding someone to go with to see if you are interested in persuing the sport. Good luck, Brent

Just got done building a portable spear house from the plans on the Mn Darkhouse assn. HSOforum. I think I got 150.00 into it or so. 3 sheets of plywood, Assorted 2 by material and a tarp. Haven't had it on the lake yet put it pulls around pretty easy in the yard.

I cheaped out and went with a plastic one from Wally World, It wasn't dark enough so I painted it Black. Now it is a little darker but not dark enough so I will call tarps inc. and order a regular fish house tarp. $76.00 shipped!

The thing folds up nice! And weighs about 75-100 lbs.

Kenny

I think i have 150.00 into it and it aint real dark as shown in the pic but I painted the tarp with left over black paint and it darkened it up some.I think a real fish house black tarp would be better/darker. I is 6' long and 4' wide and an inch or 2 short of 6' high, the hole is 44" long 20" wide on the end away from the door.

220539586.jpg

Here it is folded up

I had a lot of the stuff left over from other projects here on the farm, so the price is questionable. A couple of weekends in time into it. I should have started it earlier and I could have had it on a lake! I like the portability aspect of it. I used to have a permanent house out before but now I dont have the time to get out every day to fish, so If I have to open a new hole every time out I might as well try new lakes! Hope this helps with the ORIGINAL Question!

Kenny