• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bgreen82

spearing northern question?

never done this before, but have been interested. wondering if someone could tell me an approximate price as to all basics someone would need to get started would cost. thanks

Intro level spear about 40.00, decoy about 10.00, dark house??? misc line for decoy 2-10.00, something to make the hole??? spearing license 18.00 (also need angling license)

This can be a relatively inexpensive sport to get into if you don't need new and are willing to look for used equipment (spear, chisel, house, decoys), however much of the "old" stuff costs more than new. You may luck out if you find someone who has given up the sport due to age or some other reason and be able to get a package deal. I would reccomend finding someone to go with to see if you are interested in persuing the sport. Good luck, Brent

I have posted alot of information on spearing in other links. If you want more information, i can help you out for sure

come on up to Osakis some time, we can show you. Also, as said, check out the other sites. But to try it, come on up!

Mike89

Just got done building a portable spear house from the plans on the Mn Darkhouse assn. HSOforum. I think I got 150.00 into it or so. 3 sheets of plywood, Assorted 2 by material and a tarp. Haven't had it on the lake yet put it pulls around pretty easy in the yard.

I cheaped out and went with a plastic one from Wally World, It wasn't dark enough so I painted it Black. Now it is a little darker but not dark enough so I will call tarps inc. and order a regular fish house tarp. $76.00 shipped!

The thing folds up nice! And weighs about 75-100 lbs.

Kenny

Looks like it turned out great for ya. grin.gif How much money and time do you have stuck into it? How dark is the inside?

I think i have 150.00 into it and it aint real dark as shown in the pic but I painted the tarp with left over black paint and it darkened it up some.I think a real fish house black tarp would be better/darker. I is 6' long and 4' wide and an inch or 2 short of 6' high, the hole is 44" long 20" wide on the end away from the door.

220539586.jpg

Here it is folded up

I had a lot of the stuff left over from other projects here on the farm, so the price is questionable. A couple of weekends in time into it. I should have started it earlier and I could have had it on a lake! I like the portability aspect of it. I used to have a permanent house out before but now I dont have the time to get out every day to fish, so If I have to open a new hole every time out I might as well try new lakes! Hope this helps with the ORIGINAL Question!

Kenny

HEY WOLFPAACK Have I seen you on the dam? I bought my house used from an old timer named Theil up there,great guy! cool.gif

Pike,

What dam? Only dam I can think of is on H.O.L. and I might have bumped into you there. Theil sounds familiar but I cant put a face to the name!!!

Kenny

Not yet, This weekend is looking good though! 3 DAYS OFF!

Working for Uncle Sam Aint All Bad!

Kenny