• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hot foot or not?

Pherris

Question

I have never been in a boat with a hot foot. I am just finalizing the purchase of a Ranger Z20 and I have the option of a Hot Foot pedal or the traditional throttle control. I am inclined to go with the standard because I have had a 520 Comanche for the last few years and is what I know I am comfortable with. I have spoken to a few people and the reviews have been mixed. I am wondering what other FM'ers experience and input is. There is no cost difference on the deal with or without. All replies appreciated. Good Fishing!!

7 answers to this question

I bought a boat with a hot foot already installed, and thought about having it removed. My neighbor talked me out of it, and I am glad he did. After about 3 trips with it I was totally used to it. Now I just plain love it. I have a fish and ski, and it even works great cruising around the lake. Also, it is really nice to have two hands at the wheel at 70 mph. If it is also available, I would get the blinker style tilt/trim lever. keeps the hands at the wheel also. Good luck.

Deitz has it. I'm on my second hot-foot. It's a safety and comfort issue. Both hands are always on the wheel. And on the Z-20 have them set the idle speed up a little higher than normal, this allows you to do two things. 1. it makes docking and close quarter manuvering alot easier 2. you can stand in the front with the trolling motor down and really cruise along in the shallows for fishing or pre-fishing. The trolling motor lets you turn left/right with out problem.

I'm with everyone else on this... keep it. It will give you better control when things are choppy and rough allowing you to keep (in theory anyway) two hands on the steering wheel in difficult conditions...

marine_man

Thanks for all the replies. I have posted a similar message on some other forums and the overwhelming consensus is to have the hot foot so that is the way I am going. I realize that it will take some getting used to but over all seems like the best choice. Again thanks for the info. Good Fishing!!

Quote:

Is there a "general rule" on mininum motor size for the

need of a Hot Foot?

I have never heard of one, but look at it this way, if you have a high performance boat which is capable of high speeds, why would you ever want to take you hands off the wheel? It is all about safety. That is why the blinker trim switch is a good idea also. You have way more control with two hands on the helm. Also, after driving a car for most of a life time, it is just instinctive to "let off the gas" when something questionable arises.