• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Rod Building

Moose

Hey there, I'm looking for some information on Craft my own ice rod. Things such as blanks, guides, wrapping threads, and epoxies. Also any instuction, tips,and HSOforum information you could give a novice would be appreciated.

Thanks Moose

As mentioned Jann's Netcraft is a good place to start. There are a number of other rod building web sites that have excellent tips and how-tos on rod winding. I have done a number of custom rods and have found these web sites to be informative. There is more to it than meets the eye. It's a lot of fun to taylor make and fine tune a rod to be exactly what you would like it to be. It's a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it once you get started. You don't have to pay big bucks for rod wrapping tools either. Building your own rod winding rig, rod drying rig, is just as much fun as doing the rod itself. Not to mention you get a top quality rod out of the deal. laugh.gif It's been a good hobby for me.

Quote:

There are a number of other rod building web sites that have excellent tips and how-tos on rod winding. I have done a number of custom rods and have found these web sites to be informative.

Road King, Can you Let me know about some of the other web- sites and some info on your hand made winding and drying jigs. Also how do you determine what your going to build and how do you start it?

Thanks for the Help Moose

A buddy of mine took a class at either North Hennepin Community College or the technical college where you build your own rod during the course. It was a full size summer rod but I'm sure it would give you some good experience. I think it was somewhere around 4 weeks long meeting twice a week at night. Might be something to check out if they still offer it.

moose; check out one of the sponcers of this site (thornbrothers)they have all the matierals you will need.I belive it's a two or three day/nite deal.That way you'll get some hands on without having to buy all the stuff(epoxy,blanks,guides,ect.)have a good one or two.

Icegrogg, Am I to understand that Thornebrothers offers a class to build a rod with some guidence from their rod builders? If so how do I sign up for such an opprotunity.

Moose

give them a call,I don't have their # but they are a sponcer of this site and shoulden't be hard to find. If I remember right it's not much more than one of their custom made rods,and you get to make it yourself.Good luck, and keep it tight.

my wife built a nice ice rod at one of her con ed classes. she got it all done except epoxying the thread.shes got 2 packages, 1 of epoxy and one of professionl rod finish. shes lost the instruction sheets so we're not sure which on to put on the thread first. any help would be appreciated.

Thorne Bros doesn't actually have a "class", but rather they offer one-on-one instruction. For a modest charge, Thorne Bros will help you build your own rods in their shop. You must purchase the materials (blank, handle, guides, etc) through them though. They operate a class act shop, too, with some great guys. I am building a couple ice rods at home right now, and Scott, Mike and Brian have been more than willing to give me all kinds of advice and tips. I buy all my materials through them.

Like Upnorth said, check out rodbuilder.org. You can even find "how-to" videos on view the the Web. One other place to check out is your local library. I found a book at the Ramsey County Library which was really useful. Here's a FM link to building your own tools: web page Be careful, this hobby is very addicting!!!