• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any information is appreciated

wall_eye_assasin

Going up the 22nd and 23rd of January 07, Going out of Mcquoids. Brand new at this ice fishing stuff any information on lures, tip up strategies or anything would be appreciated very much. I have fished all my life just new at the ice fishing department. This site and all your information I have read really got me interested in ice fishing TYVM for your time.

First off, let me welcome you here.

Next, this site also has a forum for walleye/perch, and another for Mille Lacs. If you haven't looked through those forums yet give them a shot, there's some good info in there as well.

Check with the bait shops when you get there, they should be able to point out some good baits for you. Lundeens in Onamia is good, so is Portside just north of McQuoids and the one on the corner in Isle (I don't remember the name right now). If you don't have a flasher or an underwater camera you should consider renting one, I know Lundeens rents them and I'm sure a lot of other places do too.

A basic selection of jigging spoons, with a minnow head, is a good way to go for walleyes and perch. Swedish pimples are a mainstay, and I've always like Rocker Minnows for Mille Lacs. Drop it to the bottom, raise it up a few inches to a foot, and go to work. Experiment with different jigging technicques, pumping, lift-drop, drop-lift, banging the bottom, swimming a little higher, non-stop shaking, or shake or pump and then pause, etc. This is one place where having a flasher or camera can really pay off.

Another good technique is using small horizontal jigs, like a genz worm or fatboy, with either a whole crappie minnow, minnow head, or bugs (waxies or euros). Same thing with the jigging spoons, drop it to the bottom, raise it up a ways, experiment with different techniques, etc.

If you're using small baits and bugs you may get some tullibee also, although there was a big die-off this year so there won't be as many around. They're fun to catch on light gear.

I usually actively jig with one line and deadstick a small live minnow on my other line. Actively jigging will almost always attract fish, then you just need to figure out how to get them to bite. You are almost always better off to keep your bait moving.

I don't use tip-ups or rattle reels very much, or even slip bobbers, but a gem-n-eye is usually a good hook to use in those set-ups.

Good luck, have fun on your trip, and when you get back let us know how you did.