• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vex or aqua-vu for first piece of electronics?

sparky88

Thinking of purchasing either a flasher or camera. Not sure which one to buy. I usually fish in the evenings when its getting dark or is dark out. Saw some mixed reviews with the camera's performance at night. Would I be better off with a flasher?

IMO, absolutely get vex over a camera if you have the money for it. i am saving money for a vex, but its tight after just buying a house, so ill be searching through a lot of couch cushions. a vex is at the top of my list for fishing stuff to buy, ice or open water.

You would probably be better off with the flasher. I have both and I really enjoy the camera but its pretty much limited to clear water and good light conditions. I have found it difficult to switch over to my lx-3 during the evenings..when I had spent the better part of the day watching the camera...very entertaining....more so then a bunch of flashing lights.

Flasher. Note I didnt say Vex. Marcum also make a flasher too, in case your wondering. I went with the Vex though grin.gif FL18 to be exact. I love the bottom lock.

I will never leave home without it when I go fishing. If I do I will turn around and get it.

A flasher helps you find AND catch fish. A camera just helps you fine tune things after you find fish. Plus at night the camera won't be much help. The Vex and Marcum units are both great, but if you're on a shoestring you can pick up an older Humminbird or Lowrance unit and mount it to a Blue Box. I did this for years and it always worked good.

smile.gifThe vex is the way to go, I have the fl-8se it works great for all of our shallow lakes and ponds around here. The cam would be fun but it would be one more thing to lug around. The vex gives you the depth that you are fishing and where the fish are in that column of water and it works night and day, and the clarity of the water doesn't matter. Good luck in your purchase. Hope to meet you on the hard water some day. Good luck fishing an be safe, good hard water is coming soon. smile.gif By the way I fished the south ponds in Luverne today and caught a nice crappie. Need a few more cold days and the green wheel shanty will be on the ponds. C'mon smile.gif

I bought the FL8-SE on 12/23 and an Aqua-Vu Scout on 12/26 as it was on sale and had a rebate. IMHO the Vexilar is the better 1st tool as it will help you catch fish. I put the camera in the water for about 2 minutes tonight, just not enough light to see anything. I did catch fish using the Vexilar though. The camera is great in the day.

I would get the flasher for sure, and the marcum has been good to me. the camera also helps. tonight my flasher was showing tons of fish, but the bite was very light. I put the camera down, and seen it was a bunch of 4 inch sunnies.

Definitely a flasher. I have an fl-18 and decided that this year i had to have a camera. Now after days and days of pondering I think, well, maybe, yup for sure, hmmm I might upgrade to a new flasher so I can have a backup or for the boy to use. As they have been saying cameras can have there place but it is a limited place. Flashers are a must and can and should be used any time your line is wet and can be used day or night. IMO Flasher and GPS would be the 2 tools of the trade.