• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera flash rigging?

Ralph Wiggum

Question

I've seen camera flashes used for charging glow lures. Well, since my camera died, I figure I might as well see if I can plunder the flash from it and rig something up. Has anyone ever attempted this? It's a Sony P72 digital camera, if that makes a difference.

9 answers to this question

Hmmm...

Dunno how that would go for you. Might just be easier and cheaper to go to a used camera shop and buy a cheap flash unit.

If you do tear into it, be careful. A flash circuit packs QUITE a wallop with moderately high voltages and charged up capacitor(s). Not likely fatal, but not something you will soon forget. wink.gif

I used to use a removable camera flash, but it would take a long time if the batteries were cold. I don't really have any idea about how to rig a flash from a dead camera, it sounds like quite a challenge. Good luck.

Ralph ol' pal, personally I'd find something better to occupy my time! LOL Surely there are simpler ways to charge your lures.If you develop an entirely new system be sure to provide a full report. wink.gif

Hmm, not a lot of support for a guy, huh??? tongue.gif Well, being the inquisitive and curious soul that I am, I'm tearing apart the camera anyways. I just thought it might be a neat project. If I get anything figured out, I'll post results. If not, I haven't lost anything.

Ralph -

I bought a couple older camera flashers off of hsolist for $1.00 each (plus shipping). I'm sure most camera stores will have these also. Buy the older ones, they work just as good, but you'll find that the seller's will basically "give them away" because they're outdated with most of today's newer camera's. When buying, check to see how many batteries the flash requires, some need 2AA's vs. 4AA's. Cheaper in the long run to only have to replace two batt's over and over instead of 4 each time IMO. They do work great tho..