• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex Charging Oops

Mr. Pike1

So I am getting ready for a weekend venture and while packing I decide to toss the Vex on the charger to ensure a nice full charge for the weekend. I come back in from the garage and it spells of plastic burning.

It appears I put the positive on the negative and vise versa. Certainly not good, I guess my question is what might the damage to the charger, battery, or god forbid my Vex. I would guess this blunder to have lasted about 2-3 minutes.

You are lucky it didn't cause any fire or worst an explosion. Your battery could be warp and test it by running your vex for 30 minutes than charge the battery to see if it'll charge back to full, if not replace it. You don't want to get to the lake find out that your battery is dead or it's low, That would suck. Check all you electric wire around your Vex too if the plastic wires are melted, get it replace if it is before you get a short circuts and blow your vex and that would suck even more. FYI, check everything carefully before use.

Do you know what was melted? Your charger probaly just died. Been there done that, it didn't take to long either. I ended up with a charger from Radio Shack cause thats all I could find on short notice, I think its rated 500mA @ 12V. You just charge it for every hour of use[fished 3hrs/ charge for 3hrs].

If you have a voltmeter it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the polarity of the battery. If it was really discharged before putting it on the charger, it is possible that the voltage was reversed by hooking it up backwards and you don't want to fry anything else you may use that battery in. Make sure positive is still positive and negative is still negative.

It appears the melting was on the charger as I can see the plastic bubbled up on the outside. I will most likely get a new battery and charger just to be safe.

I was out this whole weekend and for the most part the FL-18 worked great like it always does. However, there was one odd thing the occured a few times. The display would spin for no reason and then back to mormal.

Oh well live and learn I guess

I did the same thing this past Thursday. I hooked the Vex up to the charger only to see and smell smoke rolling out of the room a minute or two later. I unfortunately had the charger cord laying on the carpet, so I ended up burning the outline of the cord into the carpet. Just very thankful that I was around the house when that happened. Had I plugged in the charger and taken off into town I could have possibly burnt the house down. shocked.gif