• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PowerBelt shooters, I have a question

Gus

If the critter didn't go far, the need for a massive blood trail isn't that important - or so it would seem anyway.

Where the rubber meets the road, the bullet you used seems to have achieved the desired outcome.

Anyway, if you want something that expands but doesn't fragment, look at the Barnes Expander and Spitfire bullets.

I shot a buffalo with them a couple of years ago. It took 2 shots.Thr first one at 40 yards hit a rib and blew up [or whatever]right there, Maybe 6 inches of penetration. The second at 225 yards missed the ribs and wound up against the hide on the far side. I still use them for deer, but would not recommend for anything bigger... or meaner.

whoaru99...I didn't need a blood trail because I put the bullet right on the money and the bear only went about 15 yards. I wish that was always the case, but sometimes I make less than perfect shots. I'm also not a big fan of picking tiny shards of copper washed lead out of my food. Thanks for the tips on the bullets. Your the second guy who has steered me towards the barnes bullets. If they load easily and pattern in my TC Omega I'll be a happy camper.

I was just at the range with the smokepole on Saturday.

Ended up shooting some great groups with the 245HP's.

Can't believe how easily these things went down the tube!!

I was only using 100grs of the 777 pellets. I was told to

use 100 instead of 150 by PowerBelt themselves. They

acknowlage problems with fragmentation at the higher velocities. This was my first time using a Traditions

cheapo, I got on closeout last year(fifty bucks). It

aint pretty,has plastic sites, but it will print a

group of three out to a hundred yards, so what the heck??

Next time out, I am bringing along my trade rifle with

the peeps and longer barrel. I am thinking of losing the

sub-par hunting performer,245gr HP's, for the 270gr

"hi performance" Platinum series.This will probably be my

hunting round if it groups as good as the 245grHP.

Just for reference, I was using the Powerbelt platinum series with 90 grains of 777 FFG powder and the the powerbelt still disintegrated. After looking around on the web it appears that it's a pretty common problem.

I tried some TC Shockwaves this weekend and they patterned tighter than the powerbelts. If they hold together on game I think I've found my bullet.

Quote:

Just for reference, I was using the Powerbelt platinum series with 90 grains of 777 FFG powder and the the powerbelt still disintegrated. After looking around on the web it appears that it's a pretty common problem.

I tried some TC Shockwaves this weekend and they patterned tighter than the powerbelts. If they hold together on game I think I've found my bullet.

I shot some TC Shockwaves and they seemed to come apart pretty easy too. I think I'd stick with the Bonded versions - especially if you are going after some tougher game.

I don't know, I have never had a problem with PowerBelts. I have dropped 4 deer in 2 years and had minor chards coming off. However, I have never had a deer take another step after being hit. I even dropped a doe at 125 yards. I also shoot a 45cal TC encore so I don't know. I feel very comfortable using them and nothing is easier to load. Finding a good alternative in a 45 is not the easiest thing.

I'm not elk hunting in Colorado this year, but the main reason I started shooting powerbelts was because it's illegal to shoot a sabot style bullet in Colorado. I never got one into an elk my one and only muzzleloader hunt out their. Took 2 with bow though.

I've taken one deer with a 295 grain powerbelt and it dropped within 10 yard and their was blood everywhere. I never did find the bullet though. It was about a 60 yard shot with 90 grains of Triple Seven Loose powder.

I'd like to try the Hornady SST's but probably won't even make it muzzleloader hunting this year as much as I want to. I'm going to go out and shoot rifle and check my muzzleloader this weekend just in case I can swing it.

Ryan

I had the same experience. They completely fall apart. Try buying handgun reloading bullets, 45 cal. for a 50 cal muzzy. then get the .427 jackets and put them together yourself. much more consistent and dependable down the range. By far cheaper as well.

I have not shot any game with the Shockwaves. A friend used them and said they didn't shoot good from his gun so he gave me the leftovers.

When target shooting, I dug some out of the sand and there wasn't much left of them. The copper jackets were torn to shreds and in many cases were separated from the lead. The lead was really tore up too and missing much of it.

That's my basis for suggesting the Barnes. Shot them into the same sand and they were essentially 100% intact but expanded upon recovery.

The Shockwaves seemed to shoot OK, but if it were me, I'd use the Shockwave Bonded if I went that way. However, I won't be going that way because I still have enough Barnes Expander MZ to get me though this year.

Both were loaded over 90gr loose FFg T7 and Winchester T7 primers.

For you T7 shooters, you really should give the T7 primers a try if you haven't already. Dunno the reason, but they sure seem to reduce the amount of residue left in the barrel.

whoaru....I tried those new triple seven primers this last weekend along with triple seven pellets. I don't know if it was the pellets or the primer, but for the first time ever I got about 5 misfires. It was strange, the hammer would hit, the primer seemed to go, but the charge didn't ignite. In each case I tried a second primer and would get a weak fire, but enough to send the bullet down range. I took out the breach and cleaned it thinking the flash hole was clogged, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. The only way I seemed to be able to get it to fire reliably was to clean between each shot with dry and wet patch (as usual) and then touch off a primer between each round on an empty barrel. I want to try the triple seven primers on some loose powder before I make any decisions however. It might just be that the pellets I bought were sitting on a shelf for quite a while. When the gun was actually firing it was very accurate with the T7 pellets and primers.

I have dug up more info on the fragmentation issue. I talked

with the PowerBelt guy again. He said for my range and size

deer(30-75yrds corn-fed southern whitetail) to try the

295 Aero-tip or the 300gr Platinum over 100gr 777. I am

planning another trip to the range soon, and will report the results. I am bringing along old phone books!!

I did read an article on the TC ShockWaves. The report was

centered on the sabots that come with retail-puchased

XTP,SST, and ShockWaves. They all used to come with

the better, MMP High Performance black sabots, but now

they are a hodgepodge of other sabots. There did seem to

be quite a difference in the accuracy of the "other"

sabots. The article suggested getting them directly from

MMP.

Also, in the above referenced article, there was mention

of waiting a minute or so, after each shot to let the

barrel cool down a bit before sticking in another sabot.

Something about the heat of repeated range-work messing with the sabot itself?? FYI is all...

Well, I agree. Dumping in loose 777 or pellets would

be a little risky immediatly after shooting a round

off. The article was more concerned about warmer

weather,80 degreesF and above, and repeated range work will

affect your sabot material itself, and not the dangers

of a flare up with the powder. This is especially the

case with in-lines, since they are so easily, and quickly reloaded. Food for thought if one is at the range in the

summer, and doing some paper-punching in quick fashion,

and finding your group is not so tight.