• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would you walk away for $210 million

Chris Haley

A friend of mine and I were talking about the Home Depot president walking away with a $210m severance package. He asked me if I would walk away from all my fishing and NEVER touch a rod again for $210m. I actually had to think. I could not give him an answer and still today can not.

What would you do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lot of money and I'm glad I will not have to make that decision, well odds not in my favor, anyway, that is a lot of money and yes you wouldn't have to work again, but why have that kind of money if you can't do the things you enjoy the most...with it not happening to me I can say I would keep fishing

See what I mean? People who don't fish think it's a no brainer. My dreams are all about what I would do if I won the lotto. My biggest dream being buying the dream boat and hitting the pro circuits. Given that, I'd have to turn it down.

No way.

All I would do after I had that $210 million would be to fish and hunt. If I couldn't fish & hunt, the money would not matter to me because I would be sitting home unhappy.

Even with $210 million, I don't think I could find something else that would provide the same type of enjoyment the outdoors provides me.

Hmm, that would be tough. I would do just about anything for $210M, but I'd also have to have something to keep me busy once I had all that cash. Is it possible to hunt as often and as easily as it is to fish? Could I still fish as long as I didn't use a rod? Could I go bow-fishing? Could I take other people fishing as long as I just drove the boat and enjoyed the lake?

I think for $210M I would be able to figure out a way around the rules. Or at least I'd be willing to try. Anyone have a spare $210M to give me for trying? cool.gif

I would take the money in a heart beat. There are a lot of makeover people that could make me look different, and I could do my fishing and huntting anyway. Hope they give me a shot at that. I could spend enough of the money before they make me give it back if I had to. HAA HAA

I cant survive a week without fishing let alone a lifetime. I havent ever had ny extra cash, tats not going to change any time soon.. so, why would I give up the only thing I have for $$$ ?

Keep the money if I cant fish. I'll be perfectly happy all summer long in my old rusty van with a cooler of bullheads in the back!

Guess I am in basscatchers boat - no way would I trade the money for no fishing - I am certainly one of those guys that lives for fishing and hunting but not having one or the ohter would be tragic. Fishing and hunting are the few places I truly can relax and just enjoy myself - no worries - just anticipation as to what might be on the line next or what may walk out from around the bend. If you really love it - and I do - you could not give it up. Sure can be fun to think about having lots of money and what you would do with it but I would rather just work hard and play harder.

Cruizin

Now I will be a little pickie, it says give up fishing.. for 210 mil I would give up fishing....Of course that would not stop me from taking my friends all over the world to fish the places that dreams are made of. I might not be able to fish but I can sure watch. Besides how many times have we heard on this board that catching fish is not important it is the act of going fishing, sharing time with friends and family. Splitting hairs here but it did say fishing..

With that kind of money, you could definately find the best attorneys out there to find something wrong with the contract and get you out of it!! smile.gif

But, really, for me.. it is a no brainer.. No way would I give up my fishing.. hunting.. or outdoor recreations for any amount of money... There is no price for the experiences I get when out in a boat.. on the ice.. in a deer stand... on a hike... etc etc...

Hate the thought of it but I'd take the MONEY. The only reason is because, my daughter, family, n close friends. Wouldn't ever have to worry about money again. For that I would be willing to give it up.

You never know, maybe golf actually could be fun.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I won't ever have to make that decision. LOL

Are you kidding me? Would I? In a heartbeat!! I love my fishing....but with that kind of money...I could do so much good. I am willing to give it up for the benifit of my family and friends.

There's a big point that is being overlooked. This guy is leaving WORK not pleasure. You're asking if we'd give up our pleasure for money. We wouldn't give up our pleasure for a lot of money then to go to work, we would leave work for a lot of money for pleasure. If he was smart he would take the rest of his life off and enjoy his wealthy life.

On the flip side of this, if my severance package was that amount and I COULD go fishing, well....

You'll find me zipping around in a new Ranger 621 on all kinds of lakes 200 days out of the year, sleeping in some huge pad that I bought enjoying life. The other 165 days in the year I'd be hunting or down in the tropics catchin' some rays. cool.gif

Okay, maybe not quite those numbers, but if I did end up with that sort of money, I do a lot of outdoor stuff and would be helping many people out. smirk.gif

Nope, I couldn't do it.

Fishing, hunting, and other outdoor sports are not only hobbies I have grown up with, they are part of who I am and how I was raised.

Not being able to go fishing, or able to take my son out fishing and teaching him part of his heritage, just isn't worth the money.

Besides, with that kind of money I sure won't ever work again in my life, so what else would I do? Hunting is an option, but I like a little variety once in a while...

This is what I'm talking about!! Even the people that say "in a heart beat" are trying to figure a way to have your cake and eat it too. The reason I put this up, was because of the initial stress I felt when first thinking about this. It would be the ultimate sacrifice for those that do it for family and friends. It would also be the ultimate torture to take family and friends out and not be able to feel the fight they are feeling then.

It really put things in perspective for me. I too always thought I'd do anything that was not illegal or immoral for that kind of money. But now I don't know.

(TF'em it was Obregon that asked me. I hit him back with the "would you give up beer? Then he started thinking.)

Chris, We all know Obre couldn't give that up, that's fer sure!!! grin.gif I'll be honest there's no way in.....I'd be able to give up fishin' for $210 million... It's my drug of choice.

As Terrible Ted Nug says, "It cleanses the soul!"

Bruce grin.gif

Giving it a moment of thought here I would still give up fishing. Of course a key here is my age, I have been fishing for better then 40 years. It is not like I am in my 20's anymore. Little harder to put a boat in the water, get cold a little easier. Back don't take the pounding like it used to. So there are factors there. I do have 40 years of memories. Not like you young fellers who have memories to make and fish to catch. By the way is the 210 mil tax free? grin.gif besides who would have time to fish with all the friends and relatives that 210 mil will bring together confused.gif

I LOVE to fish and would have a hard time without it.

But, with $210 Million I would not have to work and neither would my entire family for the rest of their lives. Even the future generations would be set.

Yes, I would walk away for that amount. You would be crazy not to. It would be the "sacrifice" I would make for my whole family. I would find new hobbies to enjoy.