• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Choose

bassNspear

Hiya -

I've got a Merc Optimax. It's been a great motor. Very easy on gas (as long as you don't run it wide open all the time - ANY motor gulps gas when you run it flat to the boards...), great performance, no smoke, starts on the first key turn every time (Started on the 1st crank when it was 9 degrees out in Canada this fall). I've been nothing but happy with it.

I ran a Suzuki 4-stroke for a while and that was a nice motor as well. This past summer I was at a media event and got to run a boat with an E-Tec for a couple days. Was very impressed. If I couldn't run a Merc for some reason, I'd have no tourble hanging an E-Tec on my boat.

Dietz - is your Johnson a FastStrike? Used to run one. Bulletproof, and a rocket, but wow did it ever like the gas pump. shocked.gif

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Mercury Optimax all the way. Like someone said in a previous post, it starts every time and this years models are a tad quieter. smile.gif Otherwise an Evinrude E-TEC is a good alternative, but you are going to pay for it. smile.gif

In 4 years I have had to replace a $2.57 plastic trim cam sender on my Yammy 115 4-stroke, that's it. That says a lot to me!

Funny story: The only time it didn't start on the flip of the key was when I had a guy with me for the first time. After talking up the motor, darn thing would not go! I was red in the face and got even redder when I looked and saw the safety cord toggle hanging there unattached! blush.gif

Put that on and we were good to go.........

Chris

First boat had a merc 150, no problems at all, ran great. Second boat had a 225 Evinrude, not my favorite motor but it never gave me any problems to speak of. I now have 90 Suzuki 4 stroke and so far absolutely love it... It's still newer so see about the long run, but I know a couple people with the Suzuki's that love them too....

I had an 225 opti on my 2002 and my 2006 has an opti XS. I have been very satisfied with the Merc Opti and as previously stated starts up 1st turn all conditions. Good on gas but full throttle will drain it quick.

Also should add I had a Yamaha 4 Stroke 90hp on a Lund in 2000 and was amazed at fuel efficiency and how quite the motor ran. Depending on the application someone is looking for I would not be opposed to recommending that motor also. Good Fishing!!

Suzuki 60hp four-stroke here. I did a ton of researching on the internet for three years, and the Suzuki 4-stroke was rarely if ever bad-mouthed on any message board, guys that had them just loved em. Granted, it's not the most popular brand motor out there, so the sampling of opinions might be skewed somewhat compared to Mercs, Hondas, Yamis etc....

But I don't recall coming accross any negative comment that had me thinking anything but a Suzuki. It's my first motor, so I had no motor company bias to begin with. So I researched them all, I wanted a hassle free more bang for your buck motor, and that ended up being a Suzuki in my opinion. I've only got 18 hrs and 15 minutes on the thing so far, but she's defineatly sweet. cool.gif

I'm on my 4th yama. 1. 150hp 2. 200hp 3. 225hp 4. 225hp They have all been GREAT. Engine number 2 had a fuel line problem, but that was it. Not a lick of problems mechanically. Now I have hit a couple of rocks tongue.gif but not the motors fault.

2004 15HP Johnson! Woo hoo!!! Miss the summer wind blowing through my hair! smile.gif

Seriously... for a 15hp 2 stroke.. it's very nice... a one pull starter every time. VERY easy on the gas. 5 gallons gives me around 3 long days of fishing.. can't beat that.