• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a fish house ?????

Pikemaster101

Question

7 answers to this question

Did you try doing a search? there are lots of good ideas that have already been told, but maybe someone will chime in on some new ones as well.

What style and size of house are you looking to build?

I want something that will have skids that I can just pull out from the cabin with the wheeler or truck when the ice is good enough. I am not sure what would be a good size either is 12 by 14 a reasonable size. Another concern is how or what to make the skids out of? I was thinking old rail road ties but I do not think that they are long enough any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help

12'x14' is huge by fish house standards. you may have a hard time pulling that out with an atv. 8'x8' would be a little more reasonable but that is your decision.

Railroad ties in my opinion would be way too heavy. You just need some good 4"x4" square posts or something similar.

It is really no different than building a deck. I say that is simple, but I don't know what type of carpentry exp you have. As far as plans go, just sit down with some graph paper, and draw out the size you want, figure out if you want 16 or 24" centers on studs, and start building.

Your skids are a VERY important part of your HSOList.You should'nt skimp on this item.Get oak skids 4by6 inchers is the best.If you use treated pine or plain pine you will be replacing them in 3to5 years time at the most.You can also use fabricated metal skids too.Hope this help some. grin.gifc63