• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

06-07 Regulations - Side X Sides are street legal

sp700twin

The 06-07 OHV Regulations say that class 2 ATVs (900-1500 pounds) may be operated on the shoulder or extreme right side of county roads and state trunk highways. Does this mean we could legally drive our Yamaha Rhinos or Polaris Rangers down to the grocery store or our local fishing spot as long as we stay on the listed roadways and stay as far right as possible? What if the Side X Side is capable of pulling 60 mph, would it be legal to drive down the road staying with traffic? Does this law apply to Wright County where I believe they dont even allow ATVs to follow the dithces along side road ways?

Minnesota DNR main number... 651-296-6157

Give them a call in business hours and I am sure they will clarify it for you. If you do call, let everyone else know the answer to your question.

As for driving down the road at freeway speeds... read the law you just read... it says you can operate on the shoulder of the road.. not the lane of traffic(it would specify if you could). I dont know if they state a maximum speed... but even though a machine does 60, doesnt mean you should be doing it with balloon atv tires on pavement! Its not what they are designed for and ts a good way to get yourself and passengers hurt.. or even oncoming traffic if you have a blow out.

If people abuse this law.. I am sure several counties are going to ban the use of them on any roadway if it becomes a safety issue.

Dave is correct. All local branches of gov't (city, township, county)can establish their own set of ordinances regarding to the use of ATV's. My guess would be those counties such as Washington County where ATV's are banned in the ditches, they will not allow Class II machines on the roads. It's best to check with them.

Per the new laws on page 27-28 of the MN DNR Regualtions booklet for Class II ATV's, you are allowed to drive down the extreme right hand side of county and trunk roads where it is not otherwise prohibited. Check with local cities for their ordinances.

I don't know about any laws about this in Minnesota but was told by a Wisconsin CO that the only place these (side X side) can be ridden in Wisconsin is on your own property.

I was considering getting one.