• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vote St. Croix Rods-Junk or Jewl

Agronomist_at_IA

I Haven't been all that impressed with St. Croix. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, if you can find one without the eyes all bent. From what I have seen, if you want a decent St. Croix rod, you have to search through the sea of bent eyes first. I have had luck with the Select lightning rods. They aren't the cheaper $10 ones, but the nice, straight 20 dollar ones. I Haven't had a crooked eye yet! grin.gif

Matthothand-

Have you had any problems with putting your guides forward more than standard? Generally that will create line friction and reduce casting distance and accuracy.

I used to build a lot of rods on St. Croix blanks, SC2 and SC3 blanks. I think I broke almost every one of them. Just wasn't impressed with them so I switched to fenwicks and now almost exclusively Kistlers.

I just picked one of these up last night and used it today.

1. I see what you guys mean about the guides being off center. It wasn't bad enough for me to feel it is affecting the rod/fishing.

2. The spring bobber tip is as advertised. I was playing with some smaller finicky gills. I could detect everything and even sit there and let them take line before I hit them. It was cool.

3. I was using the Ultra light and landed a 22 in large mought. The rod held up well against a large fish that was making strong runs.

Disclamer:

This is the first outing with the rod. We will see how it holds up over time.

I love my St.Crix rods. The ones that have the eyes that line up, and the ones that the tips haven't broke off yet!!

I don't understand why they can't get the eyes strait on there rods??

I'm thinking about getting a few Thorne Brothers when these tips break off.

Has anyone else tried out Thorne Brothers ulta-lights?

I bought one of the new lengend ice rod with the reel seat and was not very impress with it. I do like the spring bobber,reel seat, and the guide rings but the rod tip is very weak. My tip has broken twice on me with just regular fishing, The first time it broke while reeling in a 27" walleye, I just put the tip back on but after the second break I couldn't fit the tip on to the rod anymore. I take very good care of my fishing equipment. I called and talk to one of thier customer service employee about the warranty and they told me to send it in plus with a $20.00 check for return shipping, that is talk. It doesn't take 20.00 for shipping, more like $8.00 including insurance. I knew I should of bought a thorn rod instead. I will never buy one again. I would vote JUNK.

Just an update.

I had two Legend Ice rods that broke at the tip. I sent them back and received replacement rods in a timely manner, HOWEVER, one of the replacements had each guide misaligned, and believe it or not the other arrived with the tip already broken off! I think I have had enough of St. Croix.

Quote:

Just an update.

I had two Legend Ice rods that broke at the tip. I sent them back and received replacement rods in a timely manner, HOWEVER, one of the replacements had each guide misaligned, and believe it or not the other arrived with the tip already broken off! I think I have had enough of St. Croix.

I just shipped mine in the other day and hope it doesn't come back like the ones Crumpler mention. I got a bad feeling, though confused.gif.

i have one premier and 2 legends and love all of them. I have never had a problem with a st. croix.....I have never seen a thorn bros rod but I can honestly say that every other rod maker that has rods on the shelves for sale has rods with misaligned guides......i have not seen this with the Legends but on premiers and other brands i have. This is the first thing i look at when purchasing a rod.......I have had my premier for 3-4 seasons and 1 legend for 2 seasons and picked one up recently......all the rods have held up against big fish at one point or another....I think when fighting a fish and a rod tip breaks it has a little something to do with the reel and the drag set on the reel. If the drag is set properly on a reel the rod shouldn't break IMO......but if it happens to me then I will change that opinion... smirk.gif

St. Croix only charges $10.00 for return shipping on ice rods. ($20 For Open Water Rods) Only cost me $10 when I sent my busted Legend in. I sort of like the new handle with reel seat, but I am done buying St.Croix rods. For $50 you can buy a Thorne rod.

Bronzeback, I was refering to an ice rod that I had built. For open water rods I haven't even thought to stray from standardized guide spacing practices. Playing around with different weights of guides works to change action slightly. I brought out a st. croix that I tied and gave it a field test on trout opener. It handled lake trout great and I think it is a perfect rod for them. I was pleased.

I think the concept is great for the Legend rods but the quality and customer service is terrible. I have had two brand new legend rods. First one the guides weren't straight. I couldn't find the same model to exchange at the store I got it from so I called St. Croix. They told me it's common and they have memory and can be twisted back. I tried it and it was not easy and felt I was going to break a guide before I got in place. St.Croix said they would replace it but it would take 2weeks. So I found a different branch and exchanged it. Well the new one the tip was loose and actually came off. I again called St.Croix and they sad it's common, the glue dries out and they can come loose. I said it's brand new! He then told me it's not their design and they get them from who ever has the patent and they can't control it. I told him St.Croix's name is on it and it's their reputation. He said send it in and we'll send you another. Again alt least 2 weeks. Or I could super glue it myself. I fixed it myself and will not buy another. They only reason I didn't add another Thorne Bros to my collection is I wanted the spring bobber with the bigger guides for fishing outside the house.

So my take is good design terrible quality and last one I buy.