• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie ? for Bass N Spear or anyone else

cliffy

I was doing a little searching on this site regarding spearing and I noticed you seemed pretty active in this sport....I was hoping you (or anyone) could answer a couple of my questions.

A friend recently introduced me to the sport of spearing. Spearing has always been something I wanted to try..but I have sorta felt uneasy about it.....I have no idea why...just did.

I would like to get my own spear....however I know nothing about them. Could you tell me what to look for in a good spear? What make one better than another? Thanks for any info.

Cliffy

go to sportmanswarehouse. they have a spear for about 85 bucks. i heard the amish make them. dont kow if its true, but you will relly like it. my wife and i both have one and never lose fish.it has 7 tines. all but the middle one is rounded coming out of the main shaft. evenby just looking at it you can tell its a good spear.

I do a lot of spearing and would recomend a spear with the barbs WELDED ON to the tines. The reason for this is the barbs then tend to stick out and be a bit more "aggresive" and you will lose much fewer fish than the spears with the barbs "cut into" the tines. This doesn't hurt the meat that much either if you end up hitting the fish a little far back. They are harder to find and a bit more expensive but they are definately worth the price!!

Hope this helps you out and good luck wink.gif!!

I would be glad to help you.

As far as spears, its all going to depend on personal preference. I myself, will never buy a spear that doesnt have 7 tines or more. The reason taht i say that, is becuase your going to get to them times where there is going to be a pike that will come in and hit your decoy, and the only throw that you have on it is at a angle, if you only throwing a 5 tine spear, the % that your going to hit that fish with a solid hit is very very low.

I have had the same two spears for over 5 years. The spears that I use, along with all the guys that i go along with, are on solid peice. Reason that i point that out, is becuase your going to find when your looking at spears, that yhere are going to be ones that the shaft will come down to the tines, and it will screw into the shaft, this is not a good thing becuase if you get a monster pike, they might have a tendensy to screw that apart.

As far as the tines, its kinda hard to explain, but i will try the best to explain it. The best spears that i have had are desinged to be able to replace the tips of the spear. The whole intire spear is black, and the tips of the tines are Stainless Steel.

Reason for stainless steel, is there going to stay stronger, your going ot be able to refile them, and your going to be able to replace them, if you do break one off.

Make sure that before you purchase the spear that you try and bend them. I hate looking at people that are buying spears where the tines bend. Reason i say that is because if you are on a lake where you can be spearing in about 12-14 feet of water becuase it is very clear, your going ot want something solid that is going to be able to hit that pike with a dense piece instead of something that might bend.

I hope that this is making since to you. If there is any other questions taht you have, let me know. I would be more the willing to help.