• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will we have a 2007 FM Bass Fishing Event...

Ray Esboldt

Well, heck yes we will. In fact, I would like to have 2 of them. For those who attended last year, they will be very similar in nature. The fee will be the same, the rules will be the same, and the length of the event will be the same. I suppose there might be a tweak or two possible, but I have run several bass events and they all have run well the way this one is. So, we'll leave that alone.

Now, the thing that will change is where. Last year we did it on Forest Lake, and it turned out great. We ran it out of Timm's Marina who gave us space and a good boat launch for a really nominal fee. I think it was 6 bucks. But, we can't go to the same lake two years in a row can we? I suppose we could, but let's look at other options first.

So, here's what I need from you. I want suggestions on bodies of water with the following attributes:

1) 1000 acres or more

2) A fishable population of bass

3) No outboard motor restrictions

4) A marina with a boat launch for a reasonable fee (under $10) or a large public access/lakeside park with plenty of space to park 15 boats on shore - another option would be a lakeshore owner willing to host us for the weigh in

5) Within 90 minutes of White Bear Lake, Minnesota - White Bear is the heart of the universe in case you didn't know

6) The body of water can be fished with a Minnesota fishing license

7) No slot limits

8) Finally, I really don't want to have to acquire water use permits

So, here's your chance to help me out. I am more than happy to coordinate these events, but I may lean on a couple of you to help out.

Remembering last year...

fmbasseventqm4.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This event last year was a blast Ray!

I'll do my very best to get a few companies to kick in a few prizes again. I would see no problem getting a couple of events going this year.

I'll throw a few lake names out there...

Big Marine-plenty of parking, usually a decent bite, and plenty of bass in the lake... just not a lot of big fish.

North/South Center... PLENTY of parking again... usually a decent bite(not last year though)

Coon Lake-This would be a fun one to hit.

WBL-Fun lake to fish, parking would probably be a problem.. and then we would probably just have to give you the winning check right now Ray. wink.gif

Rush Lake-Great lake... but if the water is low again.. can be very tough on props!

Ok.. anybody else?

I am excited already. I don't have any suggestions as far as lakes. Big marine sounds good. it would just be great if we knew as soon as open water hit so we could begin to scout. No reason we can't be well planned and thanks ray for your work last year it was great that is the most fun i had giving someone else my money ever. I will throw out this tid bit. If we could stay away from the lakes that just get pounded it would be great and if we could fish a lake that has no other tourneys going on the same day that would be super too.

ike

Well i just know that some are worse than others. i know that most of them can handle it too. I have been on some waters the day after some bigger tourneys and wow it sucked. I think i speak for everyone when i say i don't need the added challenges i have my own shortcomings already. On the flip side even if we did have one on the same day as another tourney i would still be there and you couldn't make me complain. Just and fyi i am heading out to one of my favorite below a dam catfish spots to CAST yes Cast some minnows out until a big log catfish eats them. Favorite way to pass the winter down time.

ike

Ray,

You can throw Green (Chisago Cty), Waconia, or Prior in the hat. Not to confident on Waconia or Prior but they put out some good weights. If fact Dean Capra put a five fish bag of around 25lbs up in a FOM tourney on Waconia last year so the pigs are out there. I hope I can make it this year but I will be running the Minnesota Division for USA Bassin' ... if I am not at one of my tourneys or working, you can count me in!!

Minnetonka (or any other Henneppin county lake) would be a no-go. Prior Lake lacks a decent place to have a weigh in.

Waconia is a definite maybe. We would have to work around other bigger tournaments, but that is a possibility. I like the other suggestions as well. Big Marine sounds decent, so does Coon. As much as I would love to have one on White Bear Lake, that's just doesn't seem possible. The recreation traffic on that lake is stifling on a Saturday or Sunday.

Keep the suggestions coming. We can venture out of the metro if we can come up with a decent launch and weigh-in site. Anyone have any friends or relatives with a place on Sylvia-Twin where we could do a weigh-in? Clearwater is another possibility, but again we might need a weigh-in facility away from the crowds at the access.

How about Forest? Meets the size, has the bass (nice ones too!), but I'm not sure about a post-fishing gathering place. Is the new park area on the north big enough? I'm not sure.....

We could have a side bet for biggest "accidental" muskie too! I'll leave my muskie gear at home, I promise! grin.gif

Seriously, a quality bass lake, is it an option?

Chris

I think Sylvia-Twin Would be sweet. Doesnt get hit really hard for tournaments so we would pick almost any weekend. and its a good size body of water and its a fun like

Waciona would be a blast also.. But alot of boat traffic on the weekend. But there are some MOSNTER in the baby.

cjac,

We did Forest last year. It worked out great. We used Timm's Marina on lake 3 for launch and weigh-in. They let us hang out and b.s. for well over an hour afterwards.

Keep 'em coming guys. I don't know that we will actually have an official vote on where to go, but your opinion will influence the event commitee's final decision. grin.gif

I think you guys should have a tournament in Park Rapids get some of those FMers involved in the torney as well. That would give some opportunity to meet new people. As well as fish some different lakes to.

Scummie

Ray,

Love the idea of getting out of the metro if we can get enough boats to pay ahead and hold their spot. Could start looking at spots like Gull or the Whitefish Chain. All are around 2hrs from the metro, have ample parking, and hold good quality fish. What about lakes towards the Alexandria area? I'm sure Wayne has a few good lakes he could throw out there. The most important part with doing a non-metro event would be to get the money ahead of time to guarantee people will show up .... if they pay but fail to show, tough luck. Let me know what you think.

i like the pay ahead to play idea. Then it is the first money is garunteed a spot. And whoever (ray or deitz) running the show can make sure they have the right amount of bills for each place and that kind of stuff ahead of time and we don't have to scramble looking for quarters when it comes time to payout cause someone doesn't show up. I have a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth from a guided goose hunting experience where 16 guys agreed to show up and 1 guy got sick and it was true sickness not self induced. Anyway the guy that put all of his time in scheduleing and then planning the thing got stuck covering his share. No better way to say thank you than that. Any way i like the money ahead of time thing!!!!!

As far as location if you get to far up there you might lose a rochester guy like me however you may gain some people as well. These are my humble opinions but you guys do as you see fit.

ike