• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Lo-K-tor, any good on the ice?

broman

I picked up one of the old green box Fish Lo-K-tor's for a buck this summer and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these on the ice? I have yet to use it anywhere and have never used a flasher. I bought it just to tinker with.

It's all I used for years. Just for checking depths... not really strong enough to reliably pick up a jig. Could shoot through really clear ice if I wet the surface with water first. I built an insulated box for it with an arm for the transducer. Got really tired of buying 6v batteries, so mine's been collecting dust for a while. It looks like new yet, though. Was sure the cats in 1981 when I got it.

I cut the wires that went to the battery pad and hooked it up to a pair of 6 volt batteries (in series) from a childs ride in car. It works well at home so far. With the batteries I can recharge it.

I might take it out to Medicine sometime in the next week or two and mess with it and see how accurate it is and if I can get it to pick up any fish below.

I had an old Herter's flasher that i bought waaaay used at a garage sale many years ago.It was a Green-Box knock-off. Did something (can't remember exactly what) with the battery wires so I didn't have to keep burning up the 6volts. As Schweady said, under-powered, but I could tell depth and sometimes see my jig in the right conditions. If that's what you've got right now you will do better using it than "running blind", as you may see some fish, but it won't do the job of the stuff that's on the market now. Those Green-Boxes sure were the start of the evolution of our fishing knowledge though!