• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

next early goose season?

anybody think minnesota will change any framework for the early season next fall, with the recent usfws mandates on resident geese? i would be infavor of an unrestricted magazine, if for the simple fact of not having to reload as often, but i feel this could cause a lot more skybusting in return. anybody think that the bag limits will change, or that the season will be longer?

I think that there will not be a change to the three shell rule. If i remember - it took awhile for light geese to be changed.

Seasons maybe changed depending on the Fed's. They might open the season for more days. I do see, in the future, a spring or summer hunt to widdle the numbers down some more.

I think of that change because more of the problem birds are in the city - get them migrating.

the problem with spring canada hunts is that you have young birds that will end up in canada coming through late and by the time some of the spring migrators come through resident birds are already sitting on eggs. the problem with controled local hunts is that you are targeting a specific population. the snow hunt they just want dead birds because they are destroying tundra, mn is trying to control local numbers and leave the migrators alone. i think the frame work will be the same it might start a week earler in august instead of september. just my thoughts Jonah

I think they could have a spring hunt in late may-early june, at that time you'd be targeting the molt migrators before they head north. These are local non breeding birds and all the breeding pairs are with young or have migrated through.This is also the worst time for crop dammage. I would trade all the other options their talking about for this one! Just my opinion though.

Eric

I would like to see some changes but I honestly dont think it will. As far as resident birds go I think they should let the early season run up until regular season and maybe even keep higher limits for a couple weeks after that because it is rare to get any migrators the first couple weeks of regular season, especiall in southern minnesota. I would also like to see alot more late season because more and more birds are staying for the winter. If they are worried about being hard on migrators then give us three birds or whatever, but just let us go huntin. We have a lot of birds around this time of year especially with it being warm and it would just be nice to have some more huntin opprotunities without being shutdown so much. States like SD, CO, and MT to name a few hunt geese through january and into february and pretty much all of the geese in those locations this time of year are migrators, not residents. I am not sure that unplugged guns would get rid of that many more birds because you normally wouldnt get any more good shots than that but if we really need to kill geese why not. Raised limits would help a bunch because a lot of limit hunts happen already with 5 during the early season with all the dumb young birds, let the hunters do the huntin.

Double the limit! Too many hunts in early season we limit out and the geese keep coming into the decoys as we're picking up.

The next time to the same field we get nothing. So let us harvest as many geese during the ealy season as possible because they change fields from day to day in the early season. Get'em when you can! Get-R-dun! grin.gif

early goose season usually starts the first saturday in september i believe. on a side note; its never too early to start talking to farmers about where their small grain fields will be this season. its always nice to have good information when beginning to scout late this summer, and if you know where the fields are ahead of time; it can save a lot on gas money.