• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Tip Up ideas

perchking

OK guys and gals I need some input. I have been working for about a year on a new tip up design and I need to know from HARDCORE Ice Fisherman what is needed to make you happy. I am going through the Patt. work right now so I cant show you what I have so far but hopefully within the next month or so we will be ready to go. I know alot of you are going to say, nothing a tip-up is a tip-up but in my opinion there is always ways to improve an existing product.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated...

- Built in lights

- Dark colored flag (hunters orange is hard to see in snow)

- Heavy duty flag pole/spring

- A notch in the line guide, beaver dams don't have that

- An original way to hook your hook during storage

- I like the foam covers so I don't need a cover built in

Thanks ColdMark,

Alot of the items you stated that needed improvement have already been completed.

I am working on a fully contained lighting system, I agree with the black Flags, the best feature of this tip up is its design. It fully contains the line/hook and will be impossible to tangle during transport. This will be developed with a removable hole cover, so if you like the foam use it if not it is set to go with the cover. Oh yeah did I say it was about 1/2 the size of a conventional tip-up with the flag/pole being twice the size?

Thanks,

I've always used Arctics (Beaver Dams) and what I don't like about them are what coldmark mentioned, no place to put the hook. Also, that little hole in the spool to hook your flag on is hard to find in the dark when you're reeling them up. Can't put enough line on the spool and they're too expensive. Oh yeah, and if they were made so it would be easier to re-lube them that would be nice.

As far as a built in light, with them being constantly wet you'd need to be able to change it out when they go bad because they're sure to go bad after time.

I've been using Polar Tip ups and Windlass tip ups and have only had trouble finding a spot to hook by lure during storage, and the orange flag (I use pagers anyway so it's not such a big deal)

It would be nice if they were compact enough to fit into a soft sided tackle bag like cabelas has about 10-11" with the ability to extend for those guys who seem to need those monster holes to get fish through. I like the Ideas of reflective tape on the flag so you can just shine a light on them to see them and if a driver is paying attention they won't run them over. Just my opinoin

Just a thought but tip ups in my mind are normally used for northern or muskie and if you fish walleye or lake trout they are more finiky and will feel the spring of the flag flying up and alot of tip ups get tossed around and then get bent just a little bit and then they dont spin as well. If you could figure out a way so that the flag would not fling up and bounce around and a better line spool that would get me to buy one. but if you get it to work, i would hope i would get a life supply for free...... grin.gif

Ok all ideas sound great, how about a interchangeable flag? The Orange has worked great for the no snow conditions so far this year but yes a darker flag would be great for when there is snow!!!

How about one that is snowmobile proof. wink.gif I have had two of them run over and it is not cheap to replace the Beaver Dams. Pretty much what everyone else said. Can't wait to see your design. Are you gonna try to sell them through FM?

WOW there are some great ideas and some I never thoght of before. Not sure if you can make them snowmobile proof but if they are more visible that might be a deterant in its self. I am not sure how I am going to market them I have a few proto-types completed and I would love to show them but I hope you understand my position at this point.

Thanks for all the tips...

PerchKing

How about clip on long lasting glow in the dark flags. The clip on flags would not only be glow in the dark but also would have hi-vis relfective material. Each flag in the pack of four would also have a different symbol printed in the center like a circle, square, star, diamond so anglers could differentiate tip-ups and set-up.

The glow flags would be recharged each and every time you walk out with your latern to check the rig. This would elimante the need of purchasing the lights and additional expensive of replacement batteries and glow tubes.

Pack of four flags MSRP $4.00...better deal than purchasing four lights at $5.00 each for a total investment of $20.00.

I use reflective tape on my flags, but not just one peice. I use a peice near the bottom and one near the top. With one shine of the flashlight I can see if my flag is up. If the to reflections are horizontal no fish... if they are vertical fish on!