• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24lb Alaskan Red

Yesterday I got my biggest fox of the year, just shy of 25lbs. Second biggest fox I have ever gotten. Here is a pic with him.

IMG_0479.jpg

I will take a photo of him on the stretcher later as well so you can see how he fills up stretcher designed for a yote.

Fox are very easy to put down. There are a few methods, I will only mention one though. A 22short short right in the head above the eyes. It is the quickest way to put them down. The fur gets a bit bloody but I wash all my fox pelts anyway.

The .17 is way to fast to shoot them up close. It will cause too much fur damage on a fox. I have a .17 I hunt fox with but I will not take a shot closer than 30 yards with it or I will get an exit hole.

Nice Fox, good to see you still using leg holds in the snow. How do you bed your trap? I'm still using dirt hole sets in central Minnesota. We don't have but a scift of snow. The ground is like a big ice cube. We got about an inch of rain the other day. Wondering how many traps you have out. Are you a full time trapper, or what else do you do ?

Bedding traps in the snow can be tricky. You have to learn what kind of snow you have. Sometimes no matter what you do your sets will only work for 6 hours or so. All depends on the conditions. I only have 42 traps out right now on this line. I will start running a line on the south side of the island in a few weeks, that will be just a weekend line with another 4 dozen traps.

I am a teacher full time, trap for fun.

A few smaller reds from today. The one in the first photo is the same set as the first picture on this thread, I have had quite a few fox at that set.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

I caught one of my bobcats last week in a dirt hole set. In conditions like you have up there, I like to use dry dirt. I try not to use any chloride if I can help it. Some people say that the yotes can smell it. Do you actually cover the trap with snow? Do you check your traps after school? Do you catch mostly red fox? Sorry I have so many questions, I enjoy talking with trappers from other areas. Do you check your line by vehicle, or walking, or snowmobile? What else have you caught this year? Do you have lots of competition? Do you do any water trapping? When does your season start up there? Well after you answer all these questions, I'll probably have more? Feel free to ask any questions of me?

Leechman I saw your cats, they are VERY nice. I don't use any dirt here as it is all tundra so dry dirt would be a foreign odor to them. I blend the traps in as well as I can. I put wax paper under the trap, then over the trap and then cover with snow. the trick is to find some soft fluffy snow and sprinkle it over the trap from high in the air. It does not freeze down as fast that way. If we get good wind drifted snow like now I cut out a thin section to place over the trap and shave it down so when they step on the pan it will break.

I check my traps after school everyday unless weather prevents it. I do it by snowmobile(called snowmachine up here). All I have to trap here are Red fox, white fox and mink. Mink populations are way down so I have not been trapping them, I am hoping they rebound a bit first. White fox populations are also down, but I will try and harvest 10 or so this year. i don't start trapping for them until mid January. Their coats get mroe prime up until march, unlike reds.

So far I am at 47 reds this year. I was hoping to have alot more by this time but the weather has been a killer with many blizzards and 60+ winds. It is hard to keep footholds working in those conditions. The season starts on the 10th of November but the reds are not prime until end of Nov. beginning of Dec. so I don't start until then. No reason in trapping critters that are not prime.

As far as competition I don't have any normally. this year one guy wants to trap a few for gifts. He put some traps RIGHT on my line. I quietly pulled the traps I had around there and when he pulls out I will jump back in. They do not understand trapline etiquite. If prices were up around 80-100 a pelt I would have lots of competition so I am glad prices are where they are at.

I am trying to get a few of my students out trapping. I have taught them to skin and flesh. Hopefully they will get into it as I will leave this village after next school year then they can take over my line.

I have more questions if you don't mind. I really enjoy talking to someone like yourself, trapping in Alaska. I've always wondered how you would over come some of the obsticals, like we talked about. Wondering if you were from Alaska originally. If not, how did you carve out a place to trap, among the locals. You said you were leaving, just wondering where you are going? Your students, how old are they? What do you teach?

We should start a new thread, " What did you catch today?" Then we could post the daily catch and keep in touch.

I have to go check my traps.I set up a beaver hut yesterday, and hung some more snares for cats. I have until Sunday to catch a couple more cats. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back in a couple of hours.

Leechman is it possible to get your email? I am not sure if it is against forum rules or anything.

I am originally from Minnesota and moved up here to teach/enjoy the outdoors.

I am lucky as I live in a VERY small village of Eskimo people. they no longer trap as fox are not worth enough for them. It is sad, but it is easier to stay at home and collect welfare than trap. It is really sad as I have bought 2 new snowmachines with trapping profits. So I was lucky in I could go anywhere. People who are running marten/wolf/wolverine/otter lines have a much harder time finding a place to trap. Especially those on the road system. The Alaska road system is overcrowded with trappers. It is easier to find a place to trap in Minnesota than off the road system. It can be done, but it usually involves cutting your own line, which will take a season or two just to get started, all cutting, no trapping, ALOT of hard work. If you want a small line of a few miles it can be done, but many put on 250+miles a weekend to get to an area where they can trap a few miles of line without company.

I teach junior High all subjects. Kids are 13-16 years old and still in the Junior High.

Start the thread I will post my catches and hopefully see others do the same.

my email is my nickname on here at yahoo.com. shoot me a message.

I think you guys should continue your dialog here rather than taking it off line...

I know I am really enjoying it. I have a lot of the same questions that Leechmann has posted even though I haven't offered them on my own.

I haven't trapped for years. Lots of other fall activities going on (Deer, grouse, pheasants, steelhead, etc.) With a full time job and a family - something just has to give.

But back in the day - the fisrt two years of college were mainly covered by trapping and running coons with dogs.

~T

yep, cutting brush and brown spruce, willows, etc to get a machine through. Alot of guys use bravos and Tundras because they can get where other machines can't in the trees. That way if you cut a line JUST for a bravo, joy riders will not head down your trail setting off all your traps. finding an area without a line already usually involves picking out some rough country, mountains/valleys, and then cutting a line in.

I talked to one of my buddies who stays on his trapline for 4 months a year in the bush. He called on the sat phone and said he is having to snowshoe ahead of his snowmachine to pack down the "sugar snow" in order to move. Rough year for some of the interior guys.