• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yote hunting with shotgun

Nova

I have a little issue with the yotes at my house and although I have 11 acres we are not "supposed" to use rifles in that area. Question is what kind of range can I get out of 12 gauge 3.5" T-shot with super full choke on a yote? I have shot fox at 70 yards with BBB shot and had clean kills, but only shot yotes with a rifle. Last night I had one at just over 100 yards when he hung up and went back. I know that was too far, but how far is close enough?

I wouldn't shoot that far with a shotgun for a yote. i have heard guys taking coyotes out past 70 yards with #4 buck but never heard of anything smaller being used. good luck but those yotes have a strong will to live and i feel that BBB is just to small to take a yote efectively at those ranges.

not "supposed" to use rifles? Are you too close to city limits or any other residential area?

You wouldn't be confusing 'yote hunting with the rifle boundries for deer hunting are you? People state wide use .17 Rem, 22-250, .223, .243 for 'yotes.

Or if you want a scatter gun option, use some of the new Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote, I believe it comes in up to BB size. A 3 1/2" load of that will really pack a punch.

Shotguns can be effective for yotes, but buckshot may limit the amount of pellets in an area, although 4 buck shouldn't be too bad. 0 and 00 don't always put enough lead in the boiler room.

Gerry Blair is a somewhat famous coyote/predator hunter from Arizona. He has rolled up countless 'yotes with 12 and 10 gauge loads. His favorite shot was copper plated lead BB. Lots of 50-60 yards kills.

nova; is the T-shot you are using steel shot? if so i wouldnt advise using an extra full choke; at the very least your pattern probably will blow out with flyers every which way, and possibly damage your choke or barrel. steel cannot compress under constrictions like lead does. ive been preadator hunting with shotguns and rifles with various loads for years now, and ive found that for me personally, 3" copper plated lead BB's or a premium goose load in the 3.5" load with a steel shot long range choke works good for me. no matter what you are shooting for a load, buckshot or otherwise, 70 yards is on the extreme side for any load. if you can find it, 3.5" #4 buckshot might be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy per pellet; but it all comes down to pattern. i would say if you can; go with the rifle; if not go with a slug if you arent worried about the hide; otherwise i would start blowing different loads through your gun and see whats going to give you a good pellet count in a 30" circle at 50 yards and go from there.

when I say we aren't "supposed" to use rifles I mean it's a township ordinance. I am using steel shot, but my supper full choke is designed especially for steel shot. I have patterned the BB, BBB, and T shot in the gun and T gives me the best pellet count at 40 yards. I don't have a slug barrel for the gun or that would definately be my option. I am going to try and find some lead 4 buck. Thanks for all the imput guys, it is appreciated.