• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red dot scope for yotes?

Cooter

I've never hunted with one but am thinking of putting one on my 870 for yotes. I would guess a low power red dot would be great for layin some No. 4 buckshot out for a running yote. Any comments/opinions? Thanks much, later.

A couple of things that I have experienced, One, 4 buck does not pattern well out of my 870, I use a 30 in full choke for night hunting coyotes and fox. I use lead BB or 2 shot. I have seen a coyote rolled dead at 95 yards with 4 buck, one shot, it was not by me. I shot the stuff for a long time and missed many close shots before I patterned my gun and found out it didn't work well for me.

I wouldn't personally use a scope, I shoot both eyes open and would not be familiar enough to use one. I have a red dot that I have used for deer hunting and it was ok, but I don't use it anymore. for night hunting, I wouldn't consider it. The red light in the scope may block your visual of the night background. Just a thought, Brent

I would have to agree with fischer on this one. i shoot with both eyes open and i think that the scope may hurt you more then help. I do shoot #4 buck and i found the best pattern for me came from a modified choke and was best around 45 yards and given the chance i would shoot at 50. if you haven't patterned your gun with buck i would before you head out. Gook luck and have some fun.

95 yd with buckshot, that had to be a poke and hope shot, yes??

Anyway, to the OP, there is a certain brand and model of choke tube that is supposed to pattern excellent with buck. If I can find/remember the name I'll post it.

As far as the red dot, I know a couple guys that swear by 'em, and a couple that swear at 'em. Just kind of a personal preference thing.

Never hunted yotes but have used a dot for deer on a rifle, great little thing in the brush and for close, under 50 yards, shots, but on loger shots in the open didn't like it, covered more deer. might be better on a shotgun though. I went back to a scope on my rifle.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one!

Kenny

As far as red dot type scopes go, are the models priced under $100 worth getting? I might try borrowing a buds gun, he also has an 870 with a red dot he uses for turkey hunting. I think one of those Beretta semi autos with the pistol grip design in 3" 12 ga with a red dot would be pure yote death.