• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing walleyes on drop offs?

ok i have a question on where the walleyes sit on drop offs. i know that fishing the base of a drop off is where they like to sit. but what if the base of the drop off is 50 feet will the walleyes suspend off that or will they sit that far down. and towards night will they swim up 20 or 30 feet to feed at night. or would they more than likly sit at the top of the drop off ( 21') thanks for the info.

During low light, I would expect walleyes to travel the length of the drop from top to bottom and anywhere in between. They also may suspend adjacent to the drop off if there is enough bait fish to hold them in one particular spot. During the day, those same fish will more than likely be setting in the deeper water but can frequent other parts of the water column. This window of time can be tough to pinpoint but if you hit it, you'll be happy. Keep an eye on your electronics and let that do much of the work for you. If you don't have access to electronics, start at the bottom and work up a few feet at a time every 20 minutes or so until you make contact.

Team Otter's answer is a good one, as always.

Walleyes will only suspend if there's suspended bait, and then they'll relate to the bait instead of the dropoff. I think this situation is much easier to find in the summer than in the winter. Aggressive feeding walleyes might be 2-3 feet above the bottom but these fish are relating to the bottom, not suspending.

On a deep drop like you're describing I would target the bottom edge (from a few feet up the drop to off the bottom of the drop) during the day and the top edge at night (starting before dusk). And any benches, points, turns, etc. I could find on the drop (ie. spot on the spot) would be good spots for prime time.