• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jamestown Resevoir

Based on what I've heard, and from Scoot's report here:

Lakes West of Fargo it sounds like things were pretty good before the storm pushed through...

I haven't heard much since then, but it's only been a couple of days too...

If it were me I'd still be headed out there, fishing around smokey's and spots south of there just off the river channel...

marine_man

Yep, we had some good fishing a little while ago. Lots of small ones, but some nice eaters too (14-16 inches). People were apparently catching fish all day in all directions from the landing on the day we did our best. From what I've heard it's been a little tougher bite since then and it's been at more traditional times then the mid-day deal we found when we were there. I'd say it's worth the trip to give it a try. I think this coming weekend I'm going to make a run for Devil's Lake to see what's happening out there- haven't been there since April, so it'll be a search and destroy mission (ok, I'm pretty wimpy to destroy much, but we'll cover lots of water looking for fish).

I personally haven't been out there, but I know for sure people were (before the snow) running 4 wheelers and sleds a couple of weekends ago... and there really isn't that much current... certainly not enough to move your jig out of your flasher's cone or anything like that... remember that ice is never safe...

marine_man

Personal experience and this is 7 years talking the only strong current area is by the dam. Use caution in this area. Otherwise current isn't too bad. There are cracks/pressure ridges out there this year though more than usually due to rapid freeze. I don't not know what the current situation is there as I have not been out since before the heavy snow. But I intend to head out there before the end of the weekend myself. Just enjoying Lake of the Woods for a few days. I plan on going out there on sunday though.

I don't know much about this, but I can tell you this- we were out there a couple weeks ago and South of Smokey's Landing for about one mile the ice was good (a good 12 inches). If you went another 1/2 mile there was about 5 or 6 inches less ice. We drilled a couple dozen holes where we found 6-7 inches of ice. The place where we found thinner ice was on the S side of the pressure ridge about one mile South of Smokey's.

I doubt there's been much additional ice since then- maybe a little, but not much. So... be careful!!!

I would guess the ice hasn't growen much either. I wounder what caused the ice to be thinner in that spot. Like I say there isn't much in terms of current in this area. But as is always the cause use caution when out there. I will be sticking with the sled and wheeler for a while yet.

I'm a little suprised about your thoughts of no current. Some of the guys I talk with that have been around the Res for years, tell me the ice is never consistent because of the slight current. Either way, I agree that no ice is safe. I REALLY NEED TO GET A SLED OR WHEELER!!!!

I never said there was no current. I said the current isn't too bad. Their are spots but it for the most part isn't that fast. Well that is my experience with it. On a typical year by the end of Jan I usually drive my pickup all over the lake and will have around 18" of ice. It won't be the case this year it has been too warm. It needs to get cold and grow some ice. Don't get me wrong I have have heard of people having problems and going through I can think of two that I have heard of one the guy went though new years day a couple years ago well at the time there was about 10" of ice on the lake. Not driving conditions. The second was so long ago I don't remember the details. They usually have more problems on Pipesteam than Jamestown though.

I made it out today and the fishing was good. I caught a ton of fish but most of them were in the 13.25 and 13.75" fish so not keepers. I did manage a couple for supper yum yum. I probably picked up about 25-30 fish today. The best bite was from 5:30 till 7 it was pretty steady action. So the lake is appearing to be on track with typical evening bite. I found 12-13" of ice where I was. The big pressure crack south of smokies has healed up pretty good right now. Lots of guy driving pickups on the the res. I wasn't to see it get to about 15" or better before the Duramax rolls on it. Till the I will be flying on the Arctic Cat. I was fun to get out today and ride the sleds some as well. I can't believe we have more snow than Lake of The Woods.

They were bitting well this afternoon. We'll see how it hold after the cold front settles in. I picked up probably 20 eyes tonight. Then I had 3 hammer handle pike. Little buggers they always screw stuff up. The fish are still small but it is always fun to have some steady action. I was fishing south of smokey's in a hole that was about 16.5' deep.