• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weight of drop down houses

arctic_scrap1

There is so much more to your question. What about what stuff you put in them? Then there is the type of suspension, number of axles and tire size, beds, cabinets etc...

I am sure your going to get some answers to your questions, but what is it that your really after? My house is a little heavier than some others of the same size I am sure. But I have a tandem axle and lots of amenities inside. What I am most concerned with is that it weighs alot less than my truck, and being its tandem axle, the weight per square inch of tire is still probably less than one that is 4 feet smaller.

I would agree with what end of the line is saying.

It all depends on construction, bells and whistles, and amenities.

For example a home built may go a little heavier then a manufactured simply because the tendancy is to over build a little. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it is a factor.

Being a manufacturer and having weighed the houses pretty regular I can say that our 16' shacks go anywhere from 2200-2700 lbs depending on options. Then you have to throw in batteries, and propane tanks.

You could be pretty safe in saying a single axel 16' shack should go around the 3000# mark if it is loaded with gizzies.

Hope this helps

I will agree with what you put in them. I built my frame heavier to begain with. but I knew that going in I made my axles out steel that should not bend. I have repaired a few others and its not fun. I look at it that I can pull my house with a 4 wheeler if I want, but more than likly it will go out with a truck and if that's the case it's like having 2 trucks near each other.

Quote:

It all depends on construction, bells and whistles, and amenities.

For example a home built may go a little heavier then a manufactured simply because the tendancy is to over build a little. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it is a factor.

Good example is of a "home made" 8' X 16' I bought this summer. The thing weighed in at 4,200 lbs all wood 2 X 4 or bigger. Thing sits 10" off the ground and takes 40 mph plus winds to even begin to wiggle it.

Has a very heavy duty steel frame and tongue assembly on it plus a car axle. 3/4" Floor & subfloor, 2 X 4 studs, wood sheathing, 8' high, 4 bunks, 6" insulated walls and ceiling, 100lb cylinder filled, 2 deep cycle batteries, 60lb chisel, and house has a 8' dinette/cooking/cuboard area.

Compared to a wood studded 8 X 16 loaded the same from a manufacturer this house is 800 - 1,000 heavier. Keeping in mind the previous owner/builder has this thing 8' tall all around. He said they needed top bunk room for the old boys to roll around in comfort.

mine is an 8x16 with a partial v front. my uncle and a friend of mine(both carpenters) and both built their own wheel houses, say mine weighs about 2000lbs but i would venture to say 2300. With the glare ice and no snow conditions we have now my uncle had to push on my house to get it rolling to help the fourwheeler pull it cuz all it did was spin the tires(4x4) and he had the fish house moving sideways before the 4wheeler even started moving forward. i really wanna get it weighed though. 1 1/2 inch walls, rafters made of paneling and 1x3's flooring(1/2"g.treated, 1 1/2 pink foam, luan on top layer 1/4)