• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing for Lake Trout

Mikefrommason

Unfortunately there are very few Lake Trout lakes outside of the BWCAW/Border region. Some places to try are the Ely or Gunflint Trail areas in the northeast part of the state.

www.ely.org

http://www.gunflint-trail.com/planner/images/maps/Fishing_Map.pdf

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Let me know how it goes. I'll be getting up there sometime in Jan or Feb myself.

Snowbank Lake is just about the only lake in MN where I have had success in catching lake trout. You do have to do some work to find them there. Had my best luck using Swedish Pimples and frozen ciscoes. If you don't mind traveling just a little bit farther, try the NW arm of Pipestone Lake, located not too far north of Emo,Ontario in Canada. Emo is located a short distance from International Falls,MN and Fort Frances,Ontario. Good luck! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Dirtball and backcountry, can you give any more info on Snowbank Lake for lakers through the ice? Not looking for gps points here, but can you point me in the right direction on location? What general areas am I looking for?

Your best bet is to talk with Smity’s. They have the tackle and bait...including frozen smelt. You'll want to use there boat access instead of the public one, due to the fact it's plowed and contains less ice heaves. There maybe a small fee but its well worth it (it's free if you stay at the resort). Their ice houses are usually located some where between Center, Birch and Big islands.

Here's a link to a Snowbank Lake map.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

In general the locations are close for winter. I would start fishing the points and breaks starting in about 40 FOW.

As far as tackle goes...I use a spinning med Walleye rod for the lighter baits with 6 to 10 test Vanish and heavier rod with 10 to 12 test Vanish/Fireline for the larger spoons and jigs. When using Fireline I always tie on a leader of Vanish about 3 to 4 feet long using a swivel. One of the more productive baits that we have found is large (white, glow, white/orange) airplane jig tipped with a Berkley 3" or 4" Power minnow (white, glow or smelt).

Does this help? smile.gif

I second dirtballs suggestion of Pipestone Lake. I have a cabin on Pipestone and the trout have been biting real good so far this winter. I have went 3 times so far this season and everyone limited out each time. Its only a little bit farther than the Ely area and has alot of trout. There are also alot of smaller lakes that can be reached from Pipestone and they have good lakers as well. Dirtball, where do you stay when fishing Pipestone? Maybe I have seen you up there.

You can also go to the BWCAW-Duluth-Range board here on FM. There's tons of laker chatter that goes on over there, being in the heart of MN laker country, and using the search feature on that board will yield tremendous results.

We're having the fifth annual Burntside (laker) Bash on Burntside on Saturday, Jan. 27, and expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 folks, both FM and non FM, to show up. Lots of info on that bash on the same board.

superbee, I usually stay at an outpost cabin up in the NW arm of Pipestone. Can't remember the name of the outfit that owns it. It's on the North side of the lake, not too far after you have left Gates Ajar area. Only know of one other cabin farther in and that's owned by Hal, the guy that run's the motorized portage. When I do head up there, I usually go with my fishing buddy, Glen Erbe. You might know him. He's usually up there every weekend all summer long. Have you ever gone over and ice fished in Schistose? Good luck! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

scoot, Sorry but I can't be of much help to you. It's been too long since the last time I was up there. All I can remember is we used to fish fairly near a large island that I think was off to the NE of where we were staying. Also remember that I froze 3 fingers the last time I was there. To this day, they are always the ones that get cold first! Brrrrrrr! Good luck! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

I know the cabin you are talking about. I have the Watson Bay cabin on the sand beach, to the right after you come out of Gates Ajar. I have met Glen a few times at Shane Hayes' place. I haven't fished Schistose in the winter, but I just had some guys up at the cabin and they fished in Schistose and had good luck, but nothing big. They got bigger fish on Pipestone. If you ever need a place to stay up there, let me know. Are you headed up there this winter? The ice is good and plenty of snow for the machines.

superbee I do believe we have met before. Do you folks also own Sportsmen's Landing? If so, then we have met before. I started going up to Clearwater and Pipestone back when Art Latto still owned the motor portage. Needless to say, I love going up there. I stayed at the Watson's Bay cabin several times when Shane still owned it. I sure miss seeing Shane and his wife. Some of the nicest people I've had the good fortune to meet. I would just love to make a trip up to the NW arm this winter but I don't have anybody where I live that I can dazzle into going with me. Glen doesn't even go ice fishing anymore. I do know a bunch of guy's that are probably there right now. They are pretty much all a bunch of heavy drinkers though and going with a group like that doesn't interest me. If I get to a great fishing spot like it is in the NW arm, I don't want anything to interfere with my fishing. If by some freak chance I do find someone to go this winter, I would love to stay at your cabin. Why don't you drop me a line with your email in it? Mine is [email protected] Good talking to you. Good luck in the coming year! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif...aka:Keith