• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage basement??

fishinchicks

We are planning to add an attached garage to our house this summer. Someone suggested we put a basement under the garage. Have any of you heard of this? How practical is it? Does it add a ton to the cost?

Our project involves tearing off our exsisting kitchen, and digging a new basement under it. We are moving the outside wall out 8 feet since we have to put a new foundation under the kitchen area, anyway. The garage will attach to the new extended part.

Why? The added cost of a basement for the return of storage space, not to mention the beefed up ceiling/garage floor to carry the weight. From What I gather you live in the country so room is not an issue, you would be better off expanding the garage rather then putting a basement under it. Or a loft on top of it which is an idea that I always like to see in garages.

It is very handy and adds a ton of storage. It is relatively cheap based on a square foot cost compared to typical above ground space, most of the components will be in place, there are just a few additional steps that need to be taken. Have seen the space used as additional garage space more often than additional finished space, but can be done both ways. If for garage space you need to have access from the outside via an overhead garage door. Your grade may or may not allow this. The driveway/access also may eat up too much of your yard. Typically the garage door for the under part is located on the rear of the garage. If using as a basement, then some of these items are not required, but egress may be...

The product used is called spancrete. Basically the same as you see in parking ramps, it comes in sections, is placed on top of the foundation, then a waterproofing membrane is layed over this and then a layer of concrete over it all... Cannot remember the costs right off hand, but other costs include the additional lineal feet of full height block or poured foundation, concrete floor if desired for the lower level, garage door, electrical, additional fill removal/excavation costs and any additional grading that might be needed to obtain acess to rear (if req'd).

Just do a search using "spancrete"....

I think somebody was pulling your leg, I am a real estate appraiser and of the 100s of residential houses that I have done interior inspections on I have only seen 1 garage that had a basement underneath it. And that was because the house was on a small lot and they wanted a home theater. I am sure the cost added would be very high. As for the resale value of that basement space you would not even come close to getting your money back.

I work in a home electronics store and we have done a number of home theaters in garage basements, because of the concrete sound proofing,the sound is great and it doesnt carry through the house.. For that it makes sense, but it seems like a lot of money for just storage..

Our general contractor came today, and said the estimated cost would be about $30000 added on for a garage basement. That made our decision pretty easy. We will gain basement space under the new kitchen, office, and mudroom, and not put anything under the garage. We will probably add space at the front of the garage for a wood shop, instead.

Should be an interesting project. The summer will be a messy time at our house!

Almost every garage that has a basement below (that I have seen) it is for another garage. It is not a very practical idea, unless you are rich. You need a crane to set the spancrete and it adds a lot of money in material and labor, I don't know about 30K, that sounds a bit high, but it still is very expensive. The only houses that I have seen this in are worth upwards of 750K.

Yep, concrete isn't cheap and according to the contractor who did our concrete work, has taken a jump locally now after the New Year. Interesting to hear about your project fishinchicks. We have some things in common as we too are adding an attached garage and additional living space. We're tearing a wall out of the original old farm house, built around 1897, to connect it to the addition. Our kitchen presently is where there was once a "summer kitchen" that was torn off and replaced, looking at some old photos. We're adding kitchen space, a master bedroom, bath and dining room area. Adds about 1000 sq. ft. of living area, almost as much as the old house and it isn't so chopped up. We opted not to go with additional basement as there was only crawl space under previous remodeling. Would've added boo-koo $ onto what was an already tight budget project to jack the old house up, dig it out and pour basement under all of it. We went with 4' crawl space instead under the living space, good enough for some storage and in addition, put floor heat under it as well as the garage floor. Walls are up, roof is on and shingled, windows are in the new addition and doors are in in the garage so the addition is enclosed. Plumbers come Thursday to start on their part of the project and expect we'll see the electrical contractor soon as well. A lot to do yet but it's exciting to watch it take shape. Luckily, we have a great general contractor. Am happy for you guys wanting to improve your home and send our best wishes that it goes as well for you as our project has thus far, from one farm family to another. smile.gif

Our house is a few years older than yours, but not by much! My in-laws added on a master bedroom, full basement, office and rear entry where a porch once stood. Our current kitchen has basement under half, and a rock foundation. The foundation is crumbling, therefore, the remodel. We gutted our living room and dining room a year ago, and had the stairs made up to code. We have a daughter that has mobility problems every now and then (multiple sclerosis), so the stairs was a major improvement. Our farm becomes a century farm in 2013. We are trying to keep the traditional farm house style, but yet have the modern appliances, etc. Should be a fun project. We made the decision to hire a general contractor due to all the different aspects of our project. That makes me rest a little easier.

Good luck on the rest of your project, Dotch!

Adding an open loft above your garage would work great. Have them put in open rafters and a pull down star access from the garage ceiling. I've seen it done and it looks great. I wish I would have done it at my place.

Quote:

Fishinchicks and dotch, while your adding on the garage think about putting in stairs to the basement. It is a little more money but really comes in handy. gl

As a part of the project, (& in order to meet code) we had to redo the existing stairs to the existing basement so things will all be on one level. At one time before the last remodel someone did, it was the storm cellar entrance. Won't be able to connect from the garage however. Kitchen and dining room is in between it. It was however a part of our original plan before deciding that a $300,000 house was not in the cards. That and the roof started to leak on the house so our hand was forced. frown.gif

it is not only called spancrete. it also known as flexicore.molin concrete out of lino lakes is flex and hanson out of osseo is span.they are the two big ones that i know of. molin does a ton of garages so they dont just go into $750 houses.they ship a few a day.

I work at one of the above said precast companies as an estimator. of course there is additional costs but 30,000 sound a bit high for the total process. we have people use this stuff on all sizes of houses. if you have any questions please contact me.

Bryon