• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barking!

lawdog

What in the world would make a 12+ year old dog who's never really been a barker start barking all the darn time at night? There are few things I find more irritating than being kept awake by a barking dog. Bark collar will work but when its off he just starts in again.

The 2 year old barks some too, but a day or two with the collar on stops him. He barks when the other one is though... The older one never barked much before and now goes on long binges where he drives me nuts. I got no sleep last night until after 3:30 when I finally got so mad I stuck them both in the travel kennel in the pickup out by the shop so I didn't have to hear em. I think they quit then, at least I couldn't hear it anymore. At least I live in the country and don't have neighbors... I'm tired and mightily irritated today!!! mad.gif

Like anyone getting old he is probably getting cranking. smirk.gif Is he an outside dog? might be hearing something or something is bothering him at night. Or it might be as simple as he just does not want to be outside any more. I had an old lab (13) who was an outside dog almost all her life and she got that way. We finally just let her have the run of the house. Took care of the barking and I figured after 13 years of kids and hunting she deserved to be pampered.

I have an older male going on 11 that will bark incessantly when he wants out of his kennel. Never was allowed to bark his whole life and has no idea how to even bark! It is the funniest thing listening to him tr to bark! Usually he wants out of his kennel and into his crate or kennel run inside the shop. He did it out in SoDak and my buddies laughed at his bark too (after they got over being mad that he woke us up at 6 am). I think age definitley has something to do with it.

Good Luck!

Ken

It sounds like your dogs are outdoor dogs. In which case I would have to agree with Bobby Bass. I think he's just getting old and a little more cranky. Did he just start doing this in the past several months? If so, the colder weather cold be making his joints stiff and that's making him a little uncomfortable and he wants to let you know, but isn't able to tell you, obviously smile.gif. I think he's turning into my Grandpa! Old and cranky laugh.gif

Yep outside dogs, but it didn't start in the cold... Actually I have wondered if it doesn't have something to do with us moving last fall and him just not feeling at home. It started a little after that but wasn't bad. Now its gotten worse. I've moved 3-4 times since I've owned this dog, but he wasn't old then...

He probably thought it was a temporary change. Maybe he's "homesick". I'm not really sure how to cure it except to mabe spend a little more time with him and maybe show him more of the house to help him understand this is the new place.

Why don't you have the vet check his hearing? I realize there is not a lot you can do to improve it if it has begun to fail, but the vet might have some ideas. Call his name in a normal voice when he is facing away from you. Blow the whistle when he can't see you, softly, and see if he reacts.

No, I'm not nuts! Ha!

I know as my dog got older she barked more and more. I think some of it was she was also going def. I noticed after a while she didn't hear anything, but she would bark for what seemed like no reason. As she got older she had less and less patience for waiting for anything and would start barking. Sure wish I could here her bark again though.