• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NilsMaster 8" Opinion

TSCTSC

OK. I got the Nils. Here are my thoughts :

1. Truely is effortless cutting. Just hang on to it and it will shave through the ice. There is no need to press down at all.

2. Good 2 stroke. No smoke, just fumes. Runs well

3. Very long auger

4. Basically need full throttle to go all the way thru. If you half or 3/4 throttle it, you will get stuck near the end and it does not have enough torque to cut thru. But the good thing is, you will not be injured or spun around if it catches

5. One thing I really hate about it is the cover for the blades. I still cannot get it right how it should fit on. Unlike the strikemaster's, the cover always goes on right. If I dun figure out a good solution to cover the Nils blades easily, I am sure my fiddling around with the rubber snaps to put the cover on right will result in me cutting myself on the truely razor sharp blades.

6. No problem reopening holes with about 1-2 inches of ice.

7. Oh...cold start requires about 5-8 pulls. When it is warm, one pull. But I realized that it is not a big deal to pull 5-8 times provided it eventually starts as it is a small motor and does not tire me out.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

To start my Nils it usually takes only 2-3 pulls. Once with the choke on and once or twice with the choke off and she fires right off.

I also use Amsoil Sabre at 80-1 and that really makes it pretty much smokeless.

With the cover I have found that the blades go close to the inside tabs or stops. I too do not think the cover is the best, but once you figure it out it's not so bad.

How long have you had the Nils?

I know mine bound a little on the first few trips out this winter. As I use it more it seems to be getting broke in and does it a lot less. Like Rick, I'm running Amsoil but at 90:1 after running 3 tanks through it at 75:1.

As far as the cover goes I know what you mean. I keep my leather gloves on when I take it off and put in on. The cutting bit is way sharp and it tends to bite into the plastic cover so it sticks when I try to take it off or put it on.

I'd have to say my experience with my new nils is nearly exactly like yours. Although I do like that I can start the auger with it laying on its side, for someone with a bum arm it really helps. I am on my second tank of fuel (50:1) so I don't think I'm close to broken in yet. I've found that if I wobble the auger slightly while drilling it won't bind. To save myself from myself I bought an otter auger cover. The nils cover and auger fit right in the "8" tube. Combine that with a "blue" ready rig cover and It's prety well protected. Still overall I'm very happy with the purchase and expect it to get better as I get more hours on it.

I've gotten spoiled by my Nils. Before Nils, I thought as long as the engine ran, drill turned, and blades cut what else could I ask for. Heck its better then drilling by hand and I've done more then my far share of that. If she isn't throwing chips I'd help it out and increase down pressure.

Got the Nils and it won't let you help it out. All you have to do is start it up, ( 2-3 pulls) and give it throttle. No downward pressure what so ever, just hang on.

Yes I made the mistake of pushing down, its a old habit.

The drill will stop and you'll have to lift it up to get rotation. It'll wobble for a couple seconds till it gets centered again and away she goes. This thing cuts ice fast and with no effort on my part. In fact the less you try and help the better she cuts.

Quote:

7. Oh...cold start requires about 5-8 pulls. When it is warm, one pull. But I realized that it is not a big deal to pull 5-8 times provided it eventually starts as it is a small motor and does not tire me out.

Many people dont know there is a primer balb on these things... I hit the primer balb 2 times then full choke and it usually semi fires on the second pull.. turn the choke off and on the next pull its running... as it breaks in it will continue to cut better. It sounds like yours is still pretty new.

That's awesome you got the Nils. My best advice to you is DON'T let a rookie use it or someone you don't know! It doesn't take much for an inexperienced person to damage the cutting head by either dragging it across the ice or pushing down on it or slamming it on the ice. I don't let anybody use my nils unless I know they have some experience with augers and will be very careful with it and even then I supervise them while they're drilling until I can trust them to not damage it. Regarding the blade cover just be very careful putting that on and taking it off or you can get a really bad cut if you don't pay attention.