• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eastman Outfitters Ice Cube Shelter

wisepd

Question

Anyone tried or seen these shelters? If so, what do you think of them? My brother doesn't own a shelter - he was looking at these recently and asked my opinion. I own an Otter Magnum Lodge and really like it so I'm kind of biased. Any input you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

6 answers to this question

I just bought one and used it this past weekend. I have owned and used a number of portables, but this one is the best by far. Sets up in 5 minutes or less, depends on who is helping. Comes down in 3 minutes. enough room for two big guys, a heater, minnow bucket and gear. I used a portable drill to predill the holes for the anchors. This really worked well. I got mine at Sam's club for $148 which is a steal for a big usable fish house. You can stand up in it if you are under 6'6" and then you can almost stand up in it. I highly recommend this product.

I was fishing with a buddy that had an Otter Medium. I was down and everything put away and he was still struggling with the slide in poles that had frozen up. I will buy another one if they go on sale.

I have seen many versions of this style house, but I was wondering doesn't everything get soaked if it just sitting on the ice/snow? Or do you pack rubbermaids? Another question do you need to bring a sled out anyways? In order to get all your gear out you would probably end up needing an otter type sled. Why not skip the middle stuff and go right to an otter house. wink.gif I know the price is quite a bit higher, but you would be surprised what kind of deals you can get on used houses. I picked up a lodge this year with hitch, two seats, rigged with lights and it was only used a total of about 10 times for $300. There is something about not having to have only snow and ice under your feet.

CA

Hi CrappieA,

You are right, there is no floor, but I don't have much on the floor that would make a difference. I do take a couple of light weight rubber floor mats with so my feet aren't sitting on the ice. If you were walking out, you would need a sled, but if you can drive, the house folded up takes up very little room. I think the advantage with the Ice Cube is the size given the weight. Most otters don't have floors so that's a wash between the two. Unless you get the bigger otters you can't stand up in them. Bottom line is the weight to floor size ratio. It can't be beat for that. Each to his own, but I found it to be the moset versatile shelter I have ever used.

I fished with someone a couple weeks ago that used one. I helped set it up. It was a windy day, and it takes a lot of effort to screw in the anchors. But after set up I was impressed. It is a nice house for the money, but, if you move around alot I would strongly recomend using a cordless drill to pre-drill holes for the anchors.

The drill idea is really a good one. I used a 5/16 inch bit and that seemed to work well. Another tip is to anchor the corner of the house that faces the wind first, if it's real windy you could use two. Then get inside of the house and pop it up and out. After that use the straps facing the wind to secure. We had a pretty good wind on Ottertail and this process worked just fine.