• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If I cant drive on it I aint goin!!!

croixeyes

How many out there take on this mentality?I for one will walk a great distance to ice fish since I have no wheeler or sled.If im walkin a mile or more though im not gonna just stay for an hour,and it does cut down on mobility.The plus side is usually more solitude.

I dont have access to a wheeler or sled but that doesnt stop me from getting to those isolated spots. Ive walked out over 2 miles on mille lacs and have pulled many 1+ mile hikes out late ice on some of my favorite panfish lakes. I actually enjoyed fishing the metro last year when the lakes were closed to car traffic.

I walk cause I have to and if their are guys that use that statment great cause its more room for the guys that love the sport of fishing.

Ill walk a great distance to fish if I think its nessasary and not just in the winter.

It depends on how much snow there is. I walked out about a mile and a half a couple weeks ago on Mille Lacs, but it was an easy pull with no snow. If I know the fish are there I'll hoof it out there.

What a question, My sisters and I walked 2 miles to country school every school day 60 plus years ago thru snow, rain and what ever else the weatherman threw at us. I guess if I knew the fish were there I could still do 2 miles. wink.gif

I never drive out, even if the ice is "safe". Most of the lakes I fish aren't more than a mile or 2 wide anyhow, but I'd rather walk a mile on the ice than be one of those newspaper pictures with the truck sunk in the ice.

I do feel like some people are looking at me funny when I park in the public access lot and walk out while everyone else is driving. I look at it as a little mid-winter exercise. wink.gif

Hmm, if I fish out of my vehicle, do I need a shelter license on it? Just need a hole in the floorboards. But I guess it would be kind of hard to use the auger. And sipping a beer while sitting in the drivers' seat might cause some trouble.

Quote:

What a question, My sisters and I walked 2 miles to country school every school day 60 plus years ago thru snow,

LOL, Was it up hill both ways, jumping from fence post to fence post?

Seriously though, I have transportation, but a mile or so is an easy walk for me as long as the snow is less than 8-10 inches.

Quote:

What a question, My sisters and I walked 2 miles to country school every school day 60 plus years ago thru snow, rain and what ever else the weatherman threw at us. I guess if I knew the fish were there I could still do 2 miles.
wink.gif

Me too. At least on the ice it isn't uphill both ways. grin.gifwink.gif

For me it totally depends on the lake. If the ice is not "safe" to use an ATV then there are some decisions to be made.

If I have to walk out it usually will dictate which lakes I'm fishing, i'm pretty lazy so would pick a few smaller lakes. If there is alot of snow to pull the sled thru then my situation may vary. I usually don't have much time to fish until after the 1st of the year though.

If it's ATV "safe" then I'll go pretty much anywhere, I could care less if my truck never drives across the lake again.