• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smokeless Powder ban question

ScoutII

Does anyone really know why our legislators put the ban on smokeless-powder use in muzzle-loaders during the muzzle-loader season?

Is it to keep the season traditional?

Is it to prevent use of a specific HIGH POWERED muzzle-loader?

Is it to prevent a company from developing a muzzle-loader that has the range of a high powered rifle?

Our government does not always tell us why, just tells how it is going to be.

My thoughts are that the legislators did not think about this one very much, and passed the rule because of pressure by a lobbyist, without knowing how it really affects the majority of weapons that use this powder.

I shoot the savage muzzle-loader that is capable of using smokeless powder. The performance specs when using nitro are not noticeably different than when using other powders. So why the ban? Now I have read about a muzzle-loader that brags about MARKED improvement in range and knock down power. This is accomplished according to them by using a jacketed bullet and a sizeable charge of nitro powder. Is this the reason the ban was passed, which means the legislators just couldn't think of a better way to ban this type of weapon?

My thought is that if we want to prevent the use of high powered muzzle-loaders, we should control the use of the projectile being used. Sabbots can only be pushed so hard or fast before accuracy diminishes. Same goes for ball and patch.

I know it is only human nature to try to get the most performance from a product, but to prevent a majority of people from using a product because someone has modified it is not right. Ban the modification or combination of modifications that makes the product dangerous or unsafe. Do not just blindly ban all the components simply because they have some similar use.

If you can be checked for the powder you are using, I believe it is just as easy to check which bullet you are using.

I have also read that black powder substitutes contain components used in nitro powder. How else can they claim to have better performance than black powder? Should these also be banned?

I think that this could be a good topic to discuss if we can keep it civil.

The main reason I bought the savage was because it used nitro powder that made weapon maintenance easy. Noncorrosive to be exact.

I have a firearm that was legal to use during muzzl-loader season, now the powder I use is band.

I think the intent of muzzle-loader season was to allow the taking of deer with a single shot, short range firearm.

My firearm using smokeless powder meets those requirements. My firearm is not a HI-POWERED muzzle-loader, a good flint-lock or percussion-cap muzzle-loader will shoot just as far and hit just as hard.

And safety,

When you're working with smokeless powder you start dealing with a lot of preasures. Your measurements and rate of compaction need to be right on the money or you may risk injury. Not everyone is capable nor should they be working with smokeless powders. Black powder is a lot more forgiving on the above potential problems and most people are able to work safely with it.

Reloading and custom loading shotgun and rifle ammunition is done all the time. Never dump from a flask or bulk container, manufacturers always remind you. Premeasure loads into field containers.

Powder properties very, so stick with what is recomended.

Allways follow manufacturers recomendations, they have taken the time to know what works best and is SAFE.

If someone thinks they need to experiment, yes beware, you better know what you are doing or you may be seriously injured. People still successfully load and reload smokeless powder ammunition everyday.