• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opinions on trap "pro"

HGS 24

I want to downsize from my yukon thats 4 years old. The pro looks like a slick and light model. Looked a gander today but the sled seemed flimsy compared to the one I have and will my power auger, 5 gal pail, vex, view, rods, and heater all fit in this tiny sled? any insight would be great. I walk which is the main reason for losing the yukon

Are you opposed at all to checking out an Otter Ice Shack?

The Den or the Cottage are both 1 man shacks about the same size as a Fish Trap Pro, the biggest difference is going to be in the quality & material of the sled.

In my Den, I can fit my auger, propane tank w/ sunflower head, tackle bag, rod case, minnows and a chair. I also pull it behind my snowmobile all the time. If you are interested in packing all that gear into your shack, I would give Otter a look.

Hanson

2 things stick for me 1. 299 at gander and 2. the seat on the new fishtraps feel so good padded and swivel and slide forward and back. the otter looks like you have to buy the sled then put the shell on then you have to figure out what to sit on. fishtrap has just seemed like bam here is what you need one purchase all you need and your fishing!!

HGS 24 - I own both Otter and Fishtrap and here are my thoughts.

Otter- The plastic sled is the best in the market. You won't have to worry about punching holes through it. The house is made out of a durable, heavy canvas, square tubing for stability, strength and longevity. The seat is an extra accessory, but is as comfortable as any seat on the market. Plus this house is a little more room and you can do some pretty sweet mods on it!

Great product and a house that will last you a long time!

Fishtrap- Not a bad option either. Like you said, they come with everything- just put it together and pull it on the ice. However the tub isn't as strong and is more apt to be worn out faster than the Otter's. It happened to my buddies house as well as mine. Is this a huge negative- no. You just need to be a little more careful that's all.

The house material isn't has heavy duties as the Otter's, but holds up over the years. They haven't put the square tubing in the Pro's (that I know- maybe the new ones have em').

I don't know how much you get on the ice and how rough you are with your equipment. If you are going to be pulling your house behind a 4-wheeler or ATV I'd go with the Otter. If you are careful with your equipement and willing to care for your tub, then go with the Fishtrap.

Just somethings to think about but in the long run, either will work out fine for you.

I HAVE THE PRO MYSELF, ITS A SWEET SET UP, ITS ALL THERE RIGHT AWAY! IF YOU DRAG IT WITH A WHEELER OR NOT, JUST INSTALL HYFAX KIT ON THE BOTTOM 2 RUNNERS AND IT WILL LAST A LIFETIME! THAT STUFF IS TUFF AS NAILS AND WILL NOT WEAR OUT! ONE TIP, I GOT THE YELLOW RAILS THAT GO AROUND THE BOTTOM OF A ICE HOCKEY RINK, (SAME THING AS THE HYFAX KIT, JUST THICKER AND YELLOW) AND USE THAT WITH SOME GOOD STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS (COUNTERSUNK) WITH A WASHER AND LOCK NUT! WORKS LIKE A DREAM, IHAVE 10 BUCKS INVESTED IN IT. THAT WAY YOU HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, WITH MINIMAL COST.

I own the scout--the next size smaller and love it. I would have liked the Pro, but got a good deal on this one. It is easy to get on the ice and get fishing. I just put everything in the sled--cut some holes--flip it over me--set the marcum and heater and fish. But the part that I like about it the most is the clean-up, when it is time to leave you can pack almost everything up inside--flip it up--put the cover on and leave. It is easy and takes very little time! Best of luck with whatever you buy!

I just got the Scout this year. My brother said I should have gotten the Pro with a door. After using it 3 times, I like the setup. No room for the door anyway. What I like best is that when flipped halfway it makes an awesome wind break but can still be outside. I am extremely mobile without set up and take down to move.

Vex heater

hole

Minnows

Me

mnfishguy- you said it about the back. my yukon or voyager whatever it is, is killing me. I fish single a lot and with my truck i use a plank for in and out no problem. but since the old girl got me 9 mpg it was replaced with an equinox for the wife and i got the altima. now that 100 pound house goes on the roof rack of the nissan. 10 times this year and my back tells me it is time to lose all the space with the voyager and downsize. Just concerned about balancing all my gear in that small sled. looks like a perfect "light" and portable, portable.

IMO you'll be happy with either one. The weight is a wash once you add a seat to the otter. I bought an otter because of price[overstock] and i had a med. otter before and was familar with the quality. I considered a pro for a while, that seat is a nice option. You'll love how easy its to pull with either one, I just smiled the first time I had to pull it thru 6" of fresh snow, Its amzing how much of a difference 20-30lbs less can make.

For comfiness and to fish two holes easily, go with the Pro.. If you want to be mobile and are only concerned with being as light as possible and fishing one hole, go with the Scout... The new Scout also has the zippered door like the rest of the traps..

I have both, and for the majority of my time fishing solo, I have my Pro... Awesome shelter in my mind!!! And you got it, the seat is oh so comfy.. smile.gif

I'd go with the pro over the Scout. I use a Pro when I'm fishing by myself and my Otter Lodge when I've got a partner. Both are good units. Only thing I don't like about the pro is getting in and out if I've got it dug in with the low cieling and small door. Bring a couple bungy cords for holding you auger or other gear on top as you haul it.

Another vote for the Pro. I find it has just enough room for one guy and all his dump. If your concerned about the sled just put runners on it. In fact, runners are a good idea no matter what you buy.

I have the pro and love it! The pro is a perfect fish house for a run and gun panfisherman. It is not to heavy, it's durable and yet roomy enough to be able to fish 2 holes if you want to.

I have one and like it - great one-man house - very durable - I have pulled mine down paved roads when forced to and across lakes at 50 with the snow machine and it still looks brand new - They are also relatively light and one person can lift them without too much trouble.