• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Ice Tactics??

hanson

There has been a lot of talk about early ice and first ice being good for fishing, and tactics, locations, etc for catching fish at first ice.

So when our lakes REFREEZE, anybody have a good pattern for 2nd Ice? grin.gif

This is actually a good question, and I would have to agree with Tom on saying you have a good shot at finding fish in the same areas as first ice.

Fish relate to those first ice spots oftentimes because of the oxygen, forage, and light penetration. If those variables stay the same, then you can expect to find similar patterns as far as fish locations are concerned.

If we lose some ice and have a "2nd first ice period," then you will can count on similar light penetration, which can help sustain shallow water weed growth, which in turn holds fish in those classic first ice spots. However, if we see too long of a period between 1st ice and "2nd first ice," then some of those weeds will die off due to the water temps. Light penetration definitely plays a role, but I wouldn't consider it the main point.

I would say it's safe to say that you'll find fish relating to similar areas the 2nd time around. If not the immediate areas, then the areas nearby, oftnetimes just off the adjacent structure. The conditions are generally going to be the same, so you can just consider it an extended first ice period smile.gif

There are exceptions though, and in some lakes you might already have seen a change in fishing patterns prior to the warm temps and rain we just had. In this case, you'll have to start looking towards a locational move, and begin thinking about the transition from first ice to mid-winter...

I agree, Fish should still be in their first ice spots. The poor ice conditions this year has kept fishing pressure down so I don't think there has been enough fishing pressure to force fish off the prime spots.

i am stil finding fish in the shallows for now. but as more and more poeple find them there as well they seem to disappear. on the next trip im planning on trying a few new spots and trying some deeper water looking for the fish that pushed out of the shallows.