• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Ice Success!

tip-uptwo

I will start by saying it feels great to back on the ice again...It was a real bummer not being able to get on the first week of December as we were used to in recent years :-\ Today was an awesome day with no wind and sunny conditions..I think the high was -2. Glad I had the chance to get out today as tonight the freezing rain will start and it's going to change into rain by tomorrow...Anthony and I had 5'' of ice under our feet smile.gif Hope the rain does not kill it :-[

We arrived at our destination just as bite started to turn on..By then we were not the only ones down there..It was nice to see a few familiar faces I had not seen in a while smile.gif .. Punched the first few holes of the season a immediatly started to mark fish 10 feet down in 19 feet of water..It was not hard to decide where we were going to set up base camp for the day smile.gif Anthony and I were anxios to try out a few new toys we purchased over the long wait for ice, especially the new Marcum VS-250 Underwater veiwing system...Amazing little camera for the price..It did not disapoint us..Clear and very easy to use..Nothing better than watching slabs nail your bait all day long. We had too much fun with it blush.gif

FirsticeoutingDec312006015.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006019.jpg

First crappie of the year was a beaut.Caught him on a Northland Forage minnow with a few waxies hooked in the arse..

FirsticeoutingDec312006002.jpg

We proceeded to catch a few a whole bunch of them ranging from 8''-10'' with a few small gills mixed in..

FirsticeoutingDec312006004.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006006.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006003.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006009.jpg

The bite slowed down a bit around 11am which gave us time to pound back some chocolate milk and a bag lays regular chips..It also gave us some time to downsize our baits and try slip bobberin'..I stared at a blank screen for a few minutes so I tried rapidly jigging a spoon to see if I could get the attention of a any fish, then switched to the smaller baits ti get 'em to bite..Of coarse, it worked ;D

FirsticeoutingDec312006017.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006013.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006005.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006008.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006014.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006012.jpg

By the end of the day we must have iced easily about 60 fish for the few hours we were down there...All fish were released because we had forgotten the kill bucket..besides it doesn't hurt to let em go once in a while smile.gif Can't wait to get out in the new year and fish some waters I have been waiting to ice over for a while..I can see the walleye shaking' already.. laugh.gif Wednesday I hope to get back down to the crappie hole and nail a few eaters.. wink.gif Here are a few more pictures from today..

FirsticeoutingDec312006018.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006011.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006007.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006022.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read 8) Be careful and safe out there guys...All the best in the new year!!

-Andrew

Thanks for the report and the pictures. Looked like a great day. I have no ice down here in Iowa so it's good to look at some. I noticed the Nature Vision hat and the Marcum camera. You should ask someone on here with connections at Marcum to send you a hat so you match your gear. wink.gif

Quote:

I noticed the Nature Vision hat and the Marcum camera. You should ask someone on here with connections at Marcum to send you a hat so you match your gear.
wink.gif

grin.gif, What makes you think I don't don't use any of Nature Visions products? wink.gif..I bet the Marcum hats are pretty nice..LOL..

It will be nice once you guys get some ice a bit closer to home smile.gif

-Andrew