• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum help

Crickschop04

Question

I'm having some issues with my LX3. I've heard that some have had issues and I was wondering if they had the same thing going on that I have? Im having to turn my gain almost all the way up in order to pick up my lure. I'm talking about turning it up to at least 4 to 7. This isn't much of an issue when I'm in over 10 feet of water with a flat bottom and no fish, but other than that it does little more than tell me how deep it is. Is this something fixable? If I send it in how long will take before I get it back? It might be a week before I get out again, but if its going to be like 8wks I'd rather wait till spring? HELP!!! frown.gif

16 answers to this question

It sounds like a trasducer problem. Just give Marcum a call and they can answer your questions. I sent them a similar e-mail just a few weeks ago. This was their response:

"You should never have to turn you gain up much past 3 so you do have a problem that needs to be repaired. This could be the transducer but it could just as easily be in the power head so you really should send both to us to check out. As for the message on the board, here is the deal. The problem with assuming it’s the transducer and getting it replaced is that if it’s not the ducer, your repair time just went from a week or less to two to three weeks. I would recommend sending the entire unit in for a full check. Please return your LX-3 and transducer to us following the directions below. We will warranty repair the unit and get it back to you.

If you know someone else who has a Marcum, hook there transducer up and see if the problem goes away. I had the same problem and did this. then I called Maarcum and explained it to them and they sent me a new transducer right away for free.

I put my 1x-3 in the hole the other day and mine reads 4 foot deeper than my buddies vexlar. I had the new lakemaster chip and I knew I was in 26 ft of water but I was reading 30. Same hole the vexlar read the right depth. Pucks were at the same height.

Quote:

I put my 1x-3 in the hole the other day and mine reads 4 foot deeper than my buddies vexlar. I had the new lakemaster chip and I knew I was in 26 ft of water but I was reading 30. Same hole the vexlar read the right depth. Pucks were at the same height.

I've got to agree with Northlander, something seams fishy here.

#1- I would not count on the depth your Lakemaster chip shows as being the accurate depth. With the accuracy of the satellite signals, and depth variation due to fluctuations in the water level, there is no way of knowing if the depth your GPS showed was accurate.

#2 Because of that, which depth finder was really right, or wrong?

I fish side by side with my dad's Vex FL-18 & my Marcum LX-3 all the time and we always have the same depths.

Couple of things off the top of my head:

-Cone angle? If one is narrow and the other if wide you could have a different depth on a break.

-Gain on a soft bottom? Vex may be picking things up the Marcum is dropping due to gain level. It depends on the vex and if it has the low gain jumper or a low gain mode.

Hope you figure it out!

I've had one vexlar and this is my second marcum. I have never been off with a hot map chip or this lakemaster yet so I think the gps is more accurate than people think. One thing I have noticed though with all the back and forth with marcum and vexlar is, yes, the separation on the marcum is better but it does not pick up jigs very well. I can get it to show up then it blinks in and out. If I turn the gain way up its just a mess. Believe me when your just sitting there staring at it for hours you play with everything to get the best performance out of it. The vexlar just picked up the lure better with the gain knob even on zero. I still like the marcum but might take a look at the new flat screen vex. Oh here we go. Its just opinion folks.

My brother in law had the same trouble last year with his. not sure what they did to fix it but the turn around time was excellent. he also had them upgrade, i guess they put a chip in that gave it the lx 5 color scheme. he also said that it wasn't that expensive.

If you have trouble seeing your jig with a Marcum, I think you may have a bad unit, In 15ft. water I can tell if I still have my small crappie minnow on or just the bare hook with the gain between 1-2. I think thier great finders but I am suprised how many problems there is with them. I hope these turn out to be as reliable and long lasting as the Vexilars. HTB

is my transducer bad if i have to turn my gain up past 2 to see me jig? if i'm at 2 i can see my sinker fine but my jig will only flicker on n off the screen sometimes n sometimes i can even see my jig flicker or solid unless i turn up my gain to at least 2.5 or more.