• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Video Camera Search...

Jim Hudson

Question

I am looking to make a purchase on a new video camera, and was curious to see what some people have to say about those on the market right now...

My main goals are to find a camera that is simple to use.. ie when shooting and also for uploading the video onto the PC for video editing.. Also, the camera needs to be able to have good clarity in varying degrees of environment.. My price range is $500 to $1000. I see there are cameras now that take MMC cards and such, but the reviews I have read seem to say these cameras are not all around user friendly? What about the mini DVD ones?

Lets hear your reviews and what you like.. Also, if anyone has a good area to search on reviews on cameras, please let me know..

Thanks much..

5 answers to this question

I run a Canon Camcorder.

My 4 year old runs the camcorder.

My wife runs the camcorder.

My point is......

Anyways, it's a small one, about the size of a router for your wireless network (hopefully you have a small router!!)

It uses a small (1"x2") miniDV tape which tapes about 60 minutes / tape.

I've got a firewire connection to the computer, and can download and copy to DVD's with about 5 clicks with NERO software that either came with the camera, or the firewire connection (can't remember).

If I remember right, it was about $500 2 years ago, a Canon something 300.

Mini-DV (not DVD) will be the best quality for video editing. Panasonic makes some affordable 3ccd Mini DV cams that take great video. Not the best in low-light but most consumer level cameras aren't. Cameras under $1,000 are all about the same in low-light conditions. I'd go with a Mini-DV cam then figure out what features you want. Is low-light video important? Zoom? Hot-shoe for lights & mics etc.? Like LwnmwnMan2 mentioned, you want to capture your video to the computer with Firewire & use some some decent editing software. Google some video-editing sites for info before you buy.

Quote:

Panasonic makes some affordable 3ccd Mini DV cams that take great video. Not the best in low-light but most consumer level cameras aren't.

I would highly recomend the Panasonic 3 CCD camera, you can add the light for night filming.