• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Redoing boat woodwork ????

CC Hurl

Question

Well since Bow season is over and the weather is not making it safe for the ice i am going to do some wood work in the boat.

Just a 14' blue fin, but no leaks and runs good.

My question is what type of wood would be the best to use? I would like it to be lighter in wheight and be able to hold up for some time in wet conditions. I will be puting marine carpet over it as well.

Also were would be a good place to pick up marine carpet?

Thanks for your help.

CC HURL

7 answers to this question

I have done two boat floors in my day and I used extieor grade ply wood, it has held up for 4 years now on my current boat. You could use marine grade but it's around $100 a sheet.

CC Hurl,

I've done a few of these, and I've found the best way to save on weight, but still have something that holds up is to use standard plywood, and then put a few coats of a quality latex-based paint over it. For the carpeting, I've been real happy with the selection they have at Menards. Just know how much you need, and they'll cut it for ya right on the spot.

To attach the carpet to the wood, I use Henry's outdoor carpet adhesive, and then also air nail 1/2 inch brads and staples to tuck under and around the edges of the wood. You will need an 1/8th inch trowel to spread the glue evenly over the wood, and with you doing it in the winter, it may be pretty difficult to spread outdoors in the cold.

If ya have anymore questions, let me know!

-Nick

use good quality exterior plywood, look for sheets without any core voids on the edges. generaly these have the fewest enter voids also. Coat both sides and all the edges with epoxy resin this will make it waterproof.

Instead of carpeting I would use marine vinyl as it is much easier to clean and drains much faster. The carpeting in my boat takes weeks to dry just sitting in the garage.

I agree with cheesehead.

I changed out a floor on a 1978 Lund Pike a couple years ago and I went with a quality marine grade carpet because that's what everyone uses. I liked how it turned out but I should have used marine vinyl. The vinyl doesn't hold water, period.

Be sure to coat the wood you use, and coat it well. If you do it will last for many years.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply everyone. I will use your tips while doing the project. I have all the old wood pulled out and will soon be puting back together. Were can i purchase this marine vinal ? I would like to take a look at it. Also is it flexable were you can bend it around area's?

Any tips on how to stick it on wood and aluminum or would i go with the same plan as carpet?

Thanks again

Jim

I think you can get Marine vinyl at Cabelas or Fleet farm.Make sure you DO NOT! use treated plywood(green)because the chemicals used in the treatment process EAT aluminum like the dickens! Hope this helps!c63 grin.gif