• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Size of pike for pickling?

I pickled a 10lb and 14lb'er last year. Didn't notice any difference in taste between big and small ones. Makes alot more that's for sure. Never tried eyes or gills though, meat is way better on the pan, that's me though.

I usually use what I catch for pike and that is 2-5 pounders. As far as the sunnies go, I have pickled them and they were fine. I would rather eat them out of the frying pan.

Everyone that I give fish to for eating would rather have the sunnies than the eyes myself included.

Could have swore I posted this earlier, but it's not there. So I'll write it again.

I've never had to take any Y bones out of my fish. Wether big or small sized fish, I've just filleted them up, then cubed the meat into 1in squares and stuffed them into the jar. By the time they are 3/4 through the pickling stage, the bones are dissolved. I've never bit into a bone yet. Hope this helps.