• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for Clam X2 owners

cliffy

I was thinking about getting the two person X2. Anyone own one and what are your thoughts? Likes and dislikes. How would you compare the fabric....say next to the canvas on a Otter? I have been fishing out of a Polar Sport for the last few years....but lately I have found myself in the mood for something new. Thanks

Cliffy

I am running an X2 this year.. And so far so good.. The tent fabric is awesome and in my mind, the best on the market right now... Also, the pole glide system makes putting this shelter up and down a snap... No metal on metal contact with the poles... Definately an extreme shelter for those rugged conditions... Seats are pretty nice as well.. And come standard on the package...

One complaint I do have and have addressed with Clam, is the tow hitch assembly... It is quite the pain to bolt this thing on... Before there was a stick on template, where this year it was not included.. Next year I suspect that will change... But overall, I like the new heavier duty hitch.. Just not the assembly onto the tubs...

Unit is solid. A bit heavy(150 lbs.)which makes it a little difficult to throw in the back of your pick up, but can be done. Fits nicely between the wheel wells and just fits in the back of a 6 1/2 foot box. The Hyfax runners(have to buy extra) work well and are highly reccomended. Once on the ice, house is very easy to set up. I think they are going for around $650. Ice show had them for $600 with most retailers throwing in a travel cover(which is very nice. All in all, a bit pricey but a solid unit indeed!

Big Ben covered it well for you too..

I almost forgot the cover... I really enjoy this feature.. It has a zip open top for easy access, without having to take the whole cover off... Nice for when you pulling behind a sled or ATV and are fishing outside...

And yeah, definately do not get one of these if you are going to just be pulling by hand.. They are heavy and were designed for the use behind an ATV and or snowmobile..

Specifications on manual state: H 75 inches, L 94 inches, W 74 inches(set up) and Weight- 150 lbs. I am not sure if it feels that heavy, but as I mentioned before, it's a bit of a beast to throw in the back of your truck. On dry ground, I basically propped it up against the tailgate, and pushed it in. I imagine on bare ice that, (by yourself) it would be rather tough. With 2 guys, it's a breeze. Sled is heavy duty and can fit a lot of gear in it and the seats are top notch. With the Hyfax runners, the sled pushes easily across your garage floor. If it remains "snowless", a guy can pull it across the ice with minimal resistance but with some snow, you may have to have another fella or a few sleddogs with. I bought this with the intention of pulling out by myself, but it looks like I will now have to buy a 4 wheeler as mentioned in a previous post, it's a bit heavy! Lots of mesh pockets for gadgets and an air flow vent on each side. Not quite sure why so heavy. Canvas is heavy duty and poles are very wide.

Thanks for the info. My Polar Sport is the same as an Otter and I found it was pretty easy to load in the back of my truck....but I wouldnt want to add much more weight before it would become a pain.

It sounds like the X2 is a great unit...I think I will head out to the local sporting goods store and check it out. Again, thanks to all for the info.

Been out in ours a couple times now. We upsized from a yukon, and it is very nice to have all the room with the X2.

It doesn't seem to weigh as much as advertised? Maybe I'm just really tough? wink.gif

The canvas is alot heavier duty, the poles go up really easy. and the flap that goes behind your legs was a great idea.

fishtrapgirl