• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Better on your own?

I don't know about you guys, but for me, it seems my hunts go better when I'm by myself. Don't know exactly why, but maybe it's because I'm usually sitting down, don't make calling mistakes, know exactly which brids to take and when to take them as compared to when my dad, brother, neighbor or others are with me. Just seems I can "control" the situation a lot better. Not that I always prefer to hunt alone because I always enjoy having company, but things just seem to work out better when I'm alone.

Anyone else feel the same or am I a loaner? smirk.gif

BassCatcher...I agree 100%. It always seems as though my outings in the field or on the water are more memorable when i am by myself. If it wasnt for the "safety in numbers" deal i would probably hunt/fish alot more by myself. But anyways i know how ya feel...and what your saying!

Happy New Year!

I agree, to an extent. Me and my borther, about the best it can be. We know what we want to do and do it that way. No shooting early, etc.

However, I think I had the most fun this year with 6 of us over the same spread, and we shot plenty of ringbill. It was fun, but I know that we would have had better decoying and shots if it was just three, or me and bro. But I wouldn't trade it, as we all had a blast!

Now, my most favorite hunt of all time was in in NorthDakota, when the guys I was with (didn't like how they did things...) went to a field, and I found the only little open pothole without ice. I put two decoys out, and shot my limit (6 at the time) with no cripples and only used 7 shells. That was fun!

Absolutly.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong here...I love hunting with my dad, bro, neighbor, etc. It's just for some reason (and this is simply an observation) hunting seems to work out well when I'm by myself. The 4 geese in my avatar...by myself. A pic of mals and a pintail earlier this season....by myself. And in past years I've had great hunting by myself. Maybe I'm just out there when the others can't go, not sure. One thing is for certain though, when the geese are comin', I prefer to call by myself in the group I hunt with because the others really, really can't call geese. blush.gif My brother isn't too bad, but he gets a little overly ambitious on the call. smirk.gif

I understand what you are saying basscatcher, I experience similar results. Most times when I hunt (and fish) alone it seems the success rate is better, but when I bring out a buddy after all the stories sometimes it's the opposite.... confused.gif

Then, they start calling me names. blush.gif LOL

Either way, this past season was great with friends and without. Hope I see another season like '06.

Right on Chuck! Everything just seems to come together well when I'm alone.

But, I will say this....the best mallard days, the best diver days and the best goose days I've ever had in my life have all come with family and friends. And that's what I will remember and cherish forever (or until I'm senile). wink.gifgrin.gif

I'm hoping for an '07 just like '06 too!

Some of my best hunts have come by myself. The decoys go where I want them, no second opinions. The calling is limited to what I think is correct. My shots are always placed well, no rushing to be the first on a bird. And there is only one white head to conceal.

With that being said, hunting with someone else is far more fun and far less effort.

I remember a hunt this fall where I went out alone and did very, very well. The only problem was when a flock of 50+ honkers started floating down into my decoys. Half of them landed and I only managed to drop 1 of them. I really could have used some buddies at that moment. grin.gif

So true! I do most of my fishing and hunting alone due to my many weekdays off when everyone is working. I like to do alot of it alone to some degree. I love being able to make the choice of where to go and what to do when im hunting or fishing. At least that way if I do bad its my fault and if I do good it's my fault grin.gif. I also get the feeling of being a guide when I take others with and I do not like the preassure and also feeling bad if we do not do to well. I am also one of those guys that if im going hunting or fishing I want to be the first one on the water or in the field. I am a little anal when it comes to setting up decoys and I like them just right and with fishing I get a little upset with myself if someone beats me to a spot because I wanted to sleep in mad.gif. I would rather get up early and drive 2-2 1/2 hours to get better fishing and hunting then go a half our and not do to well, but thats just me. I do love fishing/hunting with others and it is one of the many reasons I do it. I look at the brightside and realize I have several friends who love getting up early and have the same attitude about hunting/fishing that I do. The problem is that they work during the week.

Besides, who wants to tell stories about how bad you did when it is some much easier to tell stories about the last time you did well.

Good Luck cool.gif

LovenLifeGuy

I couldn't agree more with you! I love hunting with people, but my best hunting comes alone. I am alot more accurate with my shots when hunting alone. I shoot alot of doubles and triples. I think that part of the reason, is I kind of flinch when others shoot near me. I also feel like I rush my shots. I also believe that when others are shooting it blocks the noise of the birds. When I shoot the first time, you can hear where the next bird is, and you have faster aquisition of the target.

I've noticed I shoot much better when I'm by myself also. I believe its because when we hunt in a group everyone seems to rush there shots trying to get the bird or birds first. When your alone you can take your time because its just you shooting. You can also do everything the way you like to which also brings more confidence.

One of the most important things in duck hunting that we sometimes over look is a good hunting buddy. Someone who knows where you want the dekes, when to call. You both jump at the same time to shoot without saying a word. Years of hunting together your a team. Besides you need someone to laugh at you when you miss that greenhead 3 times that was glinding past your side of the blind grin.gif

Quote:

Besides you need someone to laugh at you when you miss that greenhead 3 times that was glinding past your side of the blind

One year we were out during the big mallard migration (about 4 or 5 years ago). Me and my neighbor were sitting next to each other, I looked up and saw a flock of 40 or so all cupped up coming down from up high. Got down, started calling, when suddenly my brother next to us gets up and shoots.

What the heck???? He said what do you mean, what the heck? Here he shot a big drake in the decoys, I pointed up in the sky and showed him the other 40 that flared up and were flying away.

Oops! crazy.gif

That story usually comes up in a talk session every year when we're out hunting. smile.gif

Oh yes, and then there was the time when me, my dad, brother and neighbor were out, had a wonded duck on the water so dad and I went to get the boat to get it. Heard a couple of goose calls, looked out over the spread. Two big canadians come right down the pike, right through the open gap between the 'bills and mals, go through them, along the inside edge of the 'bill decoys. My bro and neighbor open up on them, probably 10 - 15 yards out...NOT A THING! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

We never let that story die either. grin.gif

Okay, I could go on and on and on, but that's enough for now. smirk.gif

Basscatcher, I get the having control of the situation and thats why I am very happy when I can hunt with my favorite hunting partners(which are very hard to find!!!). We think alike, have similar goals, and drive.

I often hunt successfully alone, but I prefer memories of successful hunts(which don't always mean dead critters...) with my buddies, dad, or brother. As my dad gets older and friend farther away I appreciate it all the more. The most memorable hunt I loved hearing about is when my late uncle and I (at 14 years old) blew it on 40+ honkers in the decoys. We didn't draw a single feather and stood silent for a couple seconds before we laughed and wondered how we'd tell my dad who was at work.

I hear ya!

There are definitely times I wish I would have had someone along with me. One example was when I was by myself late in the fall, a flock of 150 or so honkers sits on the lake, and after about an hour they get up in a HUGE line, they basically all fly over me less than tree-top high, and I get ONE! Re-loaded 3 different times and I STILL only got one! blush.gif Could've used a little help that day. tongue.gif

I guess that I enjoy the peace and quiet of hunting alone. It's nice to do ever once in a while.

I'm a firm belevie in the better shot theory. I think you just take more time and have a better shot selection not having to rush.

It would make sence's that there would be less movement.

I do enjoy hunting in groups and when my nine year old is with some of the questions can get intresting. smile.gif

Sifty

Quote:

Quote:

when my nine year old is with some of the questions can get intresting.

"Dad, what does it mean when people talk about the birds and the bees?" blush.gifgrin.gif

"Dad can those geese fly faster then a plane."

"Dad how did you miss?"

"Dad why are we going out in the (insert your weather word here)."

"Dad my feet are cold."

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Sifty

I don't think I would have ever tasted duck or goose unless I had a buddy there that could hit it. The only thing about hunting by myself is I don't have to tell anybody how many birds I missed. Thats of course if there not within ear shot. tongue.gif

I would have to say hunting with a good partner is great and safer but the last few years I moved to a new town and haven't found anyone that wants to hunt waterfowl with me so I end up hunting mainly by myself and have some great hunts, hard to find a real waterfowl finatic anymore!!

It's fun to read all of you guys' memories. I enjoy all hunting and fishing when I take my good buddy/best man with. We've got a good thing going and we basically plan all trips together.

When I've gone alone, I've done okay, but there really is something to be said about watching the marsh awaken with someone else to enjoy it with, twice the eyes on the skies and thus twice the field of vision, and knowing when to pull up and how you want the dekes.

My worst hunts came alone this year (except one doozy with a 4 bird limit that I should have mounted 3 of the 4 birds-all beautiful drakes in early Nov.) I'm always looking for a partner because I enjoy learning new things, sharing my toys, sharing my time, and having those memories.

Geez, now you guys are giving me cabin fever. I want to start blowing the duck call.