• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing bait

Crappie_ Kid

Keeps spikes and mousees at 32-36 degrees and waxies around 50 degrees. Stored like this they will stay dormant and be good bait for many weeks (I've been able to use them all season in fact).

CPL

I store my euros(maggots or spike) in the refridgerator and they last all season. I buy 1000 of them every Dec and they last until open water. I never do anything with them except keep them cold. As for waxies, I put them in a cooler spot that is about 40 degrees or so. They die on me in the fridge and die on me in room temp. As far as storage containers for both, I use bait pucks or even old vitamin bottles.

i usually buy waxies and other larva in bulk, and put some in a small bait puck and leave it in the fridge, along with the big bait puck with the remaining bait. you do not really need to use a bait puck to store them in the fridge it is just handy and hard to smash. As far as the waxies you can store them in the fridge, in the container they came in. If you dont use them for awhile you should go through them to pick out the dead ones. this is what i have done for the last 5 years and has worked for me.

I have a small dorm fridge that I keep in the laundry room in the basement. I keep it turn up so it is on the warmest cold setting. Then I keep both the spikes and waxies in there. For some funny reason the wife doesn't like them in the upstairs fridge. smirk.gif

Quote:

I have a small dorm fridge that I keep in the laundry room in the basement. I keep it turn up so it is on the warmest cold setting. Then I keep both the spikes and waxies in there. For some funny reason the wife doesn't like them in the upstairs fridge.
smirk.gif

That's insane Matt, I have the same setup in the same spot. hehehehehe.

A fishing buddy of mine asked me where to keep his waxies and I told him to keep them on the coldest windowsill in the house. He put them on his bedroom windowsill and when his wife saw those wiggling things, they were the last thing to wiggle in that bedroom for quite a while. blush.gif