• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to start my lab pup on retriever training?

WalleyePaul

I recently got a new black lab pup, and now he's 9 weeks old. Does anyone have suggestions on when to start working with him on retrieving. I will primarily hunt pheasants with him. I have heard different responses in the past-- to start as early as possible, or to wait until he's about 4 months.

At that age, use a sock or a something small and line him up in a hallway with the doors closed. Hold him, tell him to mark, and toss it down the hall (about 10 feet or so). Say his name and release him. Do three or four in the hallway. He won't be able to run away and then he has to come back to you. Read the dog as he does it. One or two may be enough. Be enthusiastic and let him know what a good job he is doing. Right now, your primary concern is that he has the desire to go out and pick up the object. If he goofs around on the way back, get his attention and go the other way. He will chase you. This is also a good way to introduce him to the "here" command. Have fun!

The other guys are on the right track. Main thing is : don't fall into the trap of pushing this little baby, because thats what he is, too hard too early. You'll turn him off. Patience. Treat him right and he'll show you how to do it.

Agreed - keep it fun. But definately don't wait.

Take every advantage of his early age that you can. He is like a sponge right now. He's learning everyday - you might as well make sure that what he learns is a benefit to him as a retriever rather than just whatever happens in front of him.

He will learn more in the weeks between 12-16 weeks than he will in any other 4 week period of his life. My vote is to lay the groundwork now so that he can start regular (but short) training sessions the day he turns 12 weeks- or when ever he appears ready.

He's not too young right now to start to learn "sit, stay, heel, and come" - which will be the basis for everything else.

In parallel, give him all the retreiving practice that he wants - but stop as soon as he grows bored with it.

I definately wouldn't wait until 4 months (16 weeks). If you do, you will have missed the most oppurtune 4 weeks of his life.

Just my 2 cents - even if it does sound slightly opinionated. wink.gif

~T

I'm in agreement with whenever the pup knows his /her name... not that you neccesarily need to start out with hardcore training, but sit, heel, etc are good ones to work on.

Once your pup does start retrieving however don't over do it... only 3-4 structured retrieves per session and one fun bumper (with nothing enforced, a way to end the session) and put the pup up wanting more... don't throw till they wear out... it could cause more headaches than the fun you had.

marine_man