• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes on wax worms?

mnhunter2

Quote:

anyone else have this happen?

all the time. One thing about fishing is, always be willing to change things up and experiment. Walleyes will hit "crappie" rigs, and vice versa. Don't get confined to thinking traditionally, you need to expermient and see what will turn on the bite. Fish won't limit themsleves to certain lures just because they were designed for other species, they will strike a rig if it is presented well. Remember feeding revolves around getting the biggest piece of food available with expending the least amount of energy outside of external threats like predation.

for lack of a better saying, don't be afraid to think outside the box.

good luck!

These small offerings really do work... Especially as the winter wears on and we get into the mid-winter bite... Can be the only way to elict a bite from these now neutral or off fish. Also, for daytime walleyes... waxies and or euro on a jig can seal the deal...

But during first ice and late ice.. they work as well.. Sometimes I think you can just put a rock with a hook on it and catch fish as they are mad hungry...

Definately give this downsize approach a shot this year... My go to for this method is a #8 FatBoy filled with euro...

earlier this uear a guy caught a 29incher 10lbs on a waxie on a lake by me. and Ive caught a few smaller ones this year on them also. seems that somettimes on mille lacs that was the onl6y way to intice a bite from a finicky eye.

so to answer you question yes this has happened.

After Martin Luther King day on my favorite Lake (Mille Lacs), Walleyes prefer Waxies to minnows almost exclusively (during the day), which is nice because the big perch are right in there with them. Especially on little Frosty spoons and Fatboys.

Pass the Waxies!