• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pickled northern

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put mine in our regular freezer, but I did leave it there all summer and just made my first batch of northern a few months ago. I have had two and a half of the four jars and I am still typing here so my fish must have been worm free! The coldone recipie is really good and the pickling solution tastes just like the store bought pickled herring but the northern gives it a little firmer and chewier taste.

Windy

Got a question.

I'm in the process of whooping up a batch of pickled northern following Flash/Coldone's recipe earlier in this thread.

I pulled a chunk out last night to sneak a taste and although very yummy, it is fairly tough. It's on day 5 of the pickling process. Is it tough and chewy because I didn't wait long enough? Will waiting longer make it more tender?

I would wait longer I usually wait 5 extra days and I don't find mine tough at all

chadwick,

If you have any questions along the way feel free to e-mail me I can get you my cell number and we can get you all set up.

chaffmj,

I'm glad to hear you liked the pickeled Northern that I brought to the bash. I can't make up my mind if I'll be at the bash this year or not. My plans seem to keep changing.

BD110,

Does this taste like the sweet wine herring that you can get at the stores?

Also, where do you get the pickling spices?

I'm doing this for the 1st time. Tomorrow will be 3 days in the freezer! I can't wait!

I'm not BD110 -- but it tastes very similar and if you add wine to the recipe it is almost dead on.

As far as the pickling spice and salt I just get mine at the local grocery store C U B good luck and it is a great way to eat tasty pike~!

hoggs222,

The amount of water and salt that is used in the first step of the recipe you are talking about is the same as the recipe that I posted so one should be able to guess the weights should be about the same.

3lbs. Per recipe, 3lbs. makes 3 quart jars or any other matching combo of pints and quarts you can come up with. Example you can make 1 quart and 4 pints if you would like.

I use Durke pickling spice there are other brands out there. Should be found in any spice isle. Use 1 Tablespoon per quart or 1/2 Tablespoon per pint.

I'm not sure if I posted this before but wide mouth jars work the best for this. If someone has never canned anything before wide mouth jars are very easy to work with.

P.S. The sooner you're able to teach this process to all of your family members and friends the more time you'll have for fishing. Until then they will want you to keep them supplied with a fresh batch every chance you can. It's just that good!!!

Well, I'm going to do the 3rd step tonight. I did the salt/water solution for 2 days and the vinegar for 1 day. I actually used one of the big 3 quart foodsaver vacuum sealer canisters. It should be OK to use this for the final step, shouldn't it? I figure it would open up the pores of the fish better like it does for marinating meat.

Also, the recipe called for black pepper. I'm going to use the whole pepper corn, should I add more since it won't dissolve in the brine?

Holy crappie does that stuff stink up the house! I think I felt it eating away at my bones.

But what a great smell!!! And remember for those of you who love beets, open a can of the whole or cut beets, throw them in a jar and add some of the pickling liquid to them. In just 24 hours they are great! Good way to make all your friends think you have been slaving over the stove all day. I plan on doing a batch of the pickling brine and freezing it in jars to use for beets and eggs. Just thaw and add the ingredients, voila!!! I gave a jar of the beets to a neighbor and he came back the next day and said he ate them all!