• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pickled northern

You are right in refrigerating it with the salt brine and vinegar phases. Hard boil some eggs and put them in the reserved liquid after you eat the fish out if it. No Need for the salt and vinegar prep like the fishies.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windy,

Pickled eggs just became a second use for my brine once the fish was all gone. After you use the brine for the second time for the eggs you'll want to toss it out. It becomes very milky and I would guess it would be to weak for another batch of eggs.

Enjoy!!!

OK Guys,

I went from the vinegar stage to the pickling stage. I put in the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, mustard seeds, cloves and pickling spices and brought it all to a boil and then cooled it down and put the pike into canning jars with some rough cut onions.

Here's my question. I strained the pickling solution to remove all the spices and bay leaves and just filled the jars with the solution. Not sure if you are supposed to leave all the stuff in the mixture for the 5-7 days. I will let you know next week how it turned out. I saved the leftover solution and will add it as we eat the pike and go for the eggs. I am guessing that after hardboiling the eggs you peel them and then put them in the pickling solution, yes?

Windy

Toomuch,

I thought you served the pike on the bay leaf like a ritz cracker? LOL I wonder if straining the liquid will diminish the taste. My guess is all the flavors came out when I boiled the mixture but my next round I can try to leave the seeds, cloves etc in and see if I notice a difference.

Windy

Just wanted to let you know I tapped into my first batch of pickled pike and it is outstanding. I now see what everybody is saying that it is much more chewy and firm than herring. The recipie I used was originally one by coldone and it was outstanding. The pickling juice tastes just like the stuff you buy in the store and the onion chunks are terriffic also. I can't wait to finish enough to try some pickled eggs. I can't believe that the bones just dissappear in the pickling process.

Try this one, it's a winner!

Windy

Did a batch of pickled bass, very reminiscent of pickled herring. Not as good as the northern, a little chewier but I liked it. Gonna try the pickled panfish as soon as I can catch some nice ones. Thanks for the recipes!!!

Forgot to mention, I had some of the pickling brine left over so I opened a can of beets threw them in the juice and ate the whole thing the next day......YUMMO!

Got a question.

I'm in the process of whooping up a batch of pickled northern following Flash/Coldone's recipe earlier in this thread.

I pulled a chunk out last night to sneak a taste and although very yummy, it is fairly tough. It's on day 5 of the pickling process. Is it tough and chewy because I didn't wait long enough? Will waiting longer make it more tender?

The chewy and tough might be because it is northern and much more dense and meaty a fillet than herring. Try crappies and sunfish and you may get a more desirable effect. Thats the way my northern turns out most of the time. I love it like that or use smaller northerns in the 20 inch range rather than the 24 inch range.

Just trying to help TMF?